1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2013 Bug? Files Almost but don't quite open

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bignoise, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bignoise

bignoise Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading and for any suggestions.

I've been experiencing an annoying issue with Word 2013 in that it almost, but doesn't quite open files. This happens inconsistently, maybe once for every 30 or so files I open. I open the document in the usual fashion but its window doesn't appear. If I right click on Word on the Task bar I can see the preview of the file's window, but it is blank. I can close the document from there, and next time I try to open it it will invariably work.

I've attached a screenshot of this happening. If I click on the blank preview the screen blinks and it seems that focus has gone to the document (as I have to click a couple of times on another active window to bring focus back to it).

Has anyone else experienced this, and figured out a solution?

Thanks!

Alan

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I have seen such thing before, although it was not Word specific. When the computer is running low on RAM, that is when it starts showing blank windows instead of documents. But low RAM should affect more aspects of the PC operation, not the least performance. Still, it might be worth a shot.

3. bignoise

bignoise Thread Starter

Thanks Jimmy. I've got 4gig of ram and am running 64 bit versions of all software in order to make sure I'm using it all. I do often have lots of programs and tabs open at once though so I'll certainly experiment and see if that makes a difference.

When the blank windows appear (or not as the case may be), I can even see the little "pick up where you left off" message box at the side of where the document should be.

Annoyances :)

Alan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice