1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2016 footnote reference style is broken

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cristobal03, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cristobal03

cristobal03 Thread Starter

I don't know what's going on, but the footnote references in Word 2016 are now all anchored to the baseline. This is true in existing documents as well as new documents. The Footnote Reference style is correctly stored as a character style that applies superscript, and the footnote references do have the Footnote Reference style.

Superscript is working correctly on all other characters, and footnote references are shown as having the superscript style. If I disable superscript on a footnote reference, the font size changes to the default for Body+. If I turn on superscript again, the font size changes, but instead of baseline shift (upward), the character stays anchored to the baseline.

Have deleted Normal.dotm. Have done a find/replace on style to try to coerce the Footnote Reference style. If I try to manually adjust the baseline shift (Font > Advanced > Position = Raised), rather than shifting the character up, it shifts the entire line down.

At this point I think there must be something about the hidden content that binds the footnote reference to its footnote text.

Our IT shop is doing something crazy lately that, among other things, is breaking custom dictionaries and imposing (randomly) other-language dictionaries on spell check. I don't know what they could have done to mess up the footnote references, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. If I try to put in a ticket on this without pointing them in the right direction, I guarantee they'll be scratching heads and shrugging.

Thanks for looking into it.

chris.

2. Sjeiz

Sjeiz

Chris,

signed up to this site to let you know you're not alone and it isn't your IT shop. Having the exact same issue, on multiple PCs!

It must be something broken by Microsoft.
    What is your Word version (File | Account | About Word)?
    Mine is 16.0.4456.1003.
    Note: Just checked but in Office365 it is working fine.

Are you able to raise a Microsoft support ticket on this?

Note: I have posted our problem in the Microsoft community as well:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...pted-but/60bce18e-451a-406b-983a-23652e4fcffa

Regards,
    Sjeiz

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. Sjeiz

Sjeiz

4. Sjeiz

Sjeiz

Chris,

I can confirm that uninstalling security fix KB3178674 fixes the problem.
    Not sure if the update get's reinstalled automatically though.

Regards,
    Sjeiz

5. cristobal03

cristobal03 Thread Starter

Wow, awesome Sjeiz, thanks for the thorough follow-up, and way to be a rockstar in your first TSG post! I'll reference the KB in my IT shop's ticket. Not sure if they'll roll it back...hopefully Microsoft will patch the patch, as it were.

To the mods, sorry; can't mark this solved yet. I'll say it's presumptively fixed.

Thanks again Sjeiz.

6. Eliane

Eliane

I just signed up to this site to be able to say a BIG thank you. I noted this problem today and I could not find anything on the internet until I finally reached this site. I almost became crazy trying to find a solution...

7. valis

valis Moderator It's My Birthday!

cristobal....good to see you my friend. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice