1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2016 opening as Word 2006

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Silverwisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silverwisp

Silverwisp Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a problem with my Word. I use Microsoft Word 2016 to write, and I'm more comfortable using this than Word 2007. However, when I save a file using Word 2016, I open it later using File Explorer and it opens in 2007. I cannot figure out why this happens. I even go to my document, select "Open With...", click on "Word 2016", and enter. This still opens as Word 2007. I've tried researching, but no one else seems to have this problem.
    Can anyone tell me what to do? Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious since I'm not really a techie. If anybody can help, please send detailed instructions!

Thank you!

2. Grrimm

Grrimm

What is your extention file name. does it save as .doc or .docx?

3. Grrimm

Grrimm

It would seem that you have Word 2007 still installed on your device causing conflict, try uninstalling Word 2007 if you have 2017 already installed

4. Silverwisp

Grrimm,
    How can I tell if it's a .doc or .docx? It says "Save As Type: Word Document".
    Also, I should mention that when I go to Word 2016 and select Open File, it opens in Word 2016. Technically, I can just do that instead of fixing the problem, but I would prefer to fix it.

5. Grrimm

Grrimm

upload_2017-10-6_0-31-34.png

That should be the correct format for 2016

6. Silverwisp

Grrimm,
    I attempted to uninstall Word 2007 from my computer. When I searched it in on my computer and came across Word 2013. I opened this and it displayed the Word 2007 opening screen. I deleted both this and another program titled Word 2007. When I checked, a message displayed "We cannot find this item on your computer," so I assumed I had deleted it. However, the same problem remains; my documents open as 2007 documents.

7. Grrimm

Grrimm

Sometimes you have to reboot after uninstall for it to take effect, did it ask you to reboot after you uninstalled. You should only have Microsoft 2016 it is backwards compatible so it should work on all your other documents

8. Silverwisp

Ok, I tried that, but the documents still remain in the 2006 format. I go to file explorer and type down "Word", then click delete on any files that say 2007 or 2013. Am I even deleting the right thing?

upload_2017-10-5_20-37-43.png upload_2017-10-5_20-37-49.png upload_2017-10-5_20-37-56.png

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice