1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2016 replacing style fails

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DrivenMadByWord, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrivenMadByWord

DrivenMadByWord Thread Starter

Problem: Word won't replace styles (especially in footnotes).

Description: A very large number of footnotes are in the wrong style (or styles). I want to change them all to, say, style FN1.
    While SelectAll, specify style FN1 by clicking the ribbon, would only be a partial solution, it doesn't work, although by not erroring it implies it has.
    SearchAndReplace Null text, format style 'Bad1' with Null text, format style FN1 says it has done an arbitrary number of replacements, but doesn't.
    SearchAndReplace *, format style 'Bad1' with ^& , format style FN1, UseWildcards goes away for a week and says it has done (in one case) 13,849 replacements, but it hasn't.

Solution wanted: Replace all text in footnotes [with or without bad style] with a new style.

Of interest: Simple search for NullText, Style xxx doesn't find anything, even if xxx is, eg, simply italics. Search for Font italic does.

I Suspect: I'm being snared by MS bizarre 'style v paragraph' stuff.

This is not: How to modify a style - Google ad nauseam.

I will really appreciate a solution (or even an explanation of why I have no chance), otherwise I look like having a month of selecting indivual footnotes manually.

System: Desktop, W10, Word 2016 (and earlier).

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice