1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2k3: track changes after the fact

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by alexenjen, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

How do you track changes in a word document? I already know how to use the "Markup" "Tracking" functions in Word. These functions are used in the beginning of a document. I need something that can trace modifications after the document was created.

More of a forensic utility for documents

For example:

last date accessed by user

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If track changes is not "on", the document properties is all that can be used.
    It records (on the Statisticd tab):

Created date
    Modified date
    Accessed date
    Printed date
    Last saved by User
    Revision number
    Editing time in total hours

3. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

i need something after the fact

4. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I do a lot of editing of others' documents, and I take a created document and THEN turn on the Tracker. It works just fine.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But that will not solve the poster's problem, they want something that shows changes made since the document was created, when track changes was not "on".

That information is simply not contained in the document, if it was, the legal liabilities would be horrendous as one could trace the evolution of any legal document through all editing stages to see who did what and when, then sue on that basis ...

Simply put, you can only get what the document holds in "properties". If the document does not hold that information (and without track changes it should not) then there is no way to re-create it.

Occasionally people negligently forget to remove the track change info and just hide it. Then track changes will be able to display it, but not otherwise.

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

When he said *after the document was created*, I assumed that was what he meant. <lg> I would hope that anyone would know it doesn't work backwards!?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice