1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97: Change Footers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CAJC, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CAJC

CAJC Thread Starter

Simple question.....

Does anyone know a way of having a different footer for different pages of a single document. Whenever I change a footer for a page it, as expected, changes on every page.

Thanks!!!

CAJC

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

you can insert a section break, then have each section with a different (or same) header and/or footer

a little tricky at first, especially with page numbers as they're controlled outside the header/footer area when using different page start numbers

also watch for the 'different first page' option being checked
    when you look at the layout tab in page set up

go to:
    insert
    break
    next page (inserts a page break plus section break)

helps if you have: tools, options, formatting marks, all
    - checked off, then you can see where the section breaks are

sounds confusing but works well once you get the hang of it, and actually see the different controls and options i'm referring to.

'simple question' - this is a microsoft product!
    LOL

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What's the point of using the footer at all, then? Just a thought...

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

i've used them for complex documents / proposals / reports where the footer may contain:

different page number formats
    - i, ii, iii, iv etc for table of contents or indexes at the beginning,
    or references, bibliographies addenda at the end

section titles, similar to above, where you want to identify pages in a section or part of the report but don't want to clutter the header up with too much information and a myriad of font sizes

inclusion of third party documents where you want to identify the source

all depends what type of documents you produce, how you like the document to look
    - or how the document MUST look if you're responding to a RFP from a GO or NGO, or have a picky corporate client

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    jb: I've created ALL of those types of documents in Word. But you know how I read his question? "How do you put a different footer on EVERY page..." LOL

Another rule to add to jb's:

When you choose whether you want the header/footer to be "same as previous", keep in mind that if you're on an odd page, it will be the "same as previous" odd-page header/footer, if you're on a first-page footer, it'll be the "same as previous" first-page footer, and so on. This REALLY confuses some people.

I'd also like to throw textboxes out there. (I really hate textboxes and would REALLY like to throw them out, but...) If you only want a specific "footer" on one or two pages and you're adding some text to an existing footer, then consider placing a textbox down there instead. You can make them look like they're right in the footer. Use the alt key to drag it exactly where you want to place it.

jb: if you hadn't said something, I'd never have re-read his Q. Thanks!

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

post-it notes

7. CAJC

CAJC Thread Starter

Many thanks for your replies. As you'll have gathered, it wasn't a different footer on EVERY page I was after, but different 'sections'. I see, now, that it is possible, if not the simplest of things to do!

Thanks.

CAJC

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice