1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97 changing text in subsequent headers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JulieAsking, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

A work friend has just told me she has a 34 page document and needs to change the text in the headers in three different "chunks" throughout the document. So, eg., the first 10 pages would read differently to the next 10 pages etc. in terms of what is typed into the headers.

We tried using section breaks and clicking Same as Previous on the H/F floating toolbar but it did not help.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you - Julie

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  3. JulieAsking

Ha ha, Dreamboat - my destiny is to ask questions. Please understand that! (If you youonly KNEW how hard that is). Just joking!! :) Thanks for your link. I'll try it at home for my work colleague tonight. If you don't hear you'll know I got it!

Thanks again - Julie

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    :)
    Meanwhile, I'll file my nails while I wait for your next Q.
    (As if!!)
    :)

5. JulieAsking

Now Dreamboat ... because I am concerned that if I keep you waiting too long you will lose those lovely long nails of yours, I am prepared to ask you another question. Yes. I see your face light up at the prospect of helping out yet another flounderer.

Okay. I'm floundering in header/footer hell here. I followed the instructions in your link and in my mock document they worked. However....there's always a however.... in my REAL document it goes like this. (It is no longer my colleague struggling with this problem but myself, unbelievably). I have created a new letterhead for my boss which sports a lovely footer which is to appear on the first and all subsequent pages. No problem. The hell starts when I try to introduce from the SECOND page only a header which I want to appear on the second page and all subsequent pages. I am confronted with Footer Heaven and Header Hell.

Scenario:
    1. Working with a 3 page template, identical footers on each.
    2. At bottom of first page I insert Section Next Page break.
    3.This brings cursor to top of second page.
    4. View, Header/Footer and type in 'Re' which appears on both 1st and 2nd pages. Of course, I don't want a header on my first page.
    5. I then say Different First Page and the text disappears from the header on page 2. (I'm not even going to ask why).
    6. I click Same as Previous to turn this command off which allows the text in 1st and 2nd page headers to be different.
    7. If I click Same as Previous again it asks if I want to delete this h/f and connect to the h/f in the previous section. I say No.
    8. I then delete the text in the first page header and leave it blank. This leaves me with a header on the second page but none on subsequent pages.
    9. If I go Show Next and type the 'Re' on the header on the third page, the text 'Re' appears back on the very first page! Save me!

Dreamboat, Im almost there. Where am I going wrong? And don't say it was getting out of bed this morning!

Thanks hugely for bailing me out - Julie(asking)

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    1. Working with a 3 page template, identical footers on each.
    mmmkay
    2. At bottom of first page I insert Section Next Page break.
    first wrong step if there aren't section breaks already. in this case--if no section breaks and you want a different first page, guess what? no section break needed. just set different first page. if you have a header already set up, you'll lose it. so copy the header, set the doc to diff first page, paste the header into section header
    3.This brings cursor to top of second page.
    4. View, Header/Footer and type in 'Re' which appears on both 1st and 2nd pages. Of course, I don't want a header on my first page.
    5. I then say Different First Page and the text disappears from the header on page 2. (I'm not even going to ask why). see what i said above? you don't need BOTH if there is only one section in the doc to start with. think of this when you think of different first page: really nice manuals always have a separate "cover page" for the new chapter, right? THAT's when you use "different first page" in docs that contain multiple sections. Otherwise, it's great for single-section docs
    6. I click Same as Previous to turn this command off which allows the text in 1st and 2nd page headers to be different. when you said diff first page after you inserted section break, you told page 2 to have a diff header than page 1 or page 3.
    7. If I click Same as Previous again it asks if I want to delete this h/f and connect to the h/f in the previous section. I say No.
    8. I then delete the text in the first page header and leave it blank. This leaves me with a header on the second page but none on subsequent pages. important. same as previous means same as previous header of the same type. so, what you did is tell it you want page 3 (a normal section header) to be the same as the previous normal section header, which is page 1. because page 2 is a first-page section header, see?
    9. If I go Show Next and type the 'Re' on the header on the third page, the text 'Re' appears back on the very first page! Save me!again, that's cause same as previous is same as previous header of the same type. and i think you might see it by now

i'm hoping. you go girl!

7. JulieAsking

Thank you for your time in your detailed explanation, Dreamboat. Your "copy/paste" advice did it for me. Here's what I did in case it helps other flounderers.

1. Had my template holding 3 identical footers across each page.
    2. On page 2 I created a heater with text, and checked Different First Page. This deleted the unwanted header from page 1 but also the footer (wanted).
    3. So I copied the footer from page 2 and pasted it into the footer area on page 1 and struck gold.

My template now has identical footers on all pages, and headers which start from page 2 in which I can vary the text as I go.

Dreamboat, I shall save your instructions and re-read them in the car on the way to work tomorrow so if I ever need Same as Previous I'll know how to tackle the little beast.

Thanks again - Julie PS Hope your nails are just as shapely and when you met me. ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice