1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97: Compile error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by panicstricken!, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panicstricken!

panicstricken! Thread Starter

what is a compile error in word 97 and how do i fix it? can't save in word unless i close word down. all i'm getting is the message "compile error in hidden module:main".....somebody please help before i throw this thing out the window!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    We don't allow panicking in here! (Just kidding.)

Close Word.
    Find the file(s) on your hard drive called normal.dot
    Right-click and rename it/them to abnormal.dot
    Launch Word.

Let me know if this does not work. It could be something else. But we WILL take care of it. Do not, I repeat, do not throw your computer out the window. Word will surely not work if you do that.

:D

3. panicstricken!

Thanks Dreamboat, unfortunately even after renaming normal.dot as abnormal.dot things are still the same, I'm completely lost with this problem and have tried re-installing word a few times with no joy.. anyone know a good computer course I can take in the New Year?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Computer courses don't teach you how to troubleshoot stuff like this...er, at least none I've ever seen, LOL.

Anyway, with Word closed, find the folder on your hard drive called Startup. The one that's under the Office folders (not the Windows one or ones under other folders.

Open it to make sure that there is nothing in it. If there is, remove it, at least temporarily, and relaunch Word.

5. ApexAngelOne

ApexAngelOne

Hello to You!

Yes, I don't panic either and have found it to be quite successful. I do know however, what it's like to be frustrated!

Now to answer your problem as I just recently had the same thing happen to my system. This is what I did. Clicked on Explorer, then on My Computer, then on C Drive, then Program Files folder, then Microsoft Office folder, then Office folder, then Startup folder. If there are any files in there, delete them and then close everything and restart your computer. Hope this solves your dilema! Happy "Wording!")

6. panicstricken!

Oh Dear..., NO I WILL NOT SWEAR!! Have tried both suggestions so far and now Word is saving sometimes, "save as " only works sometimes as well! This is a real pain as I'm trying to finish an integration of an exam paper....Thank you both for your input so far, got any other ideas? BTW, why isn't there a computer course dealing with these kinds of problems? it wouldn't be that the dealers, suppliers etc would lose a tidy little profit if we were all capable of pooter diy.. would it?

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Frankly, it's probably a combination of several things:

1. Features change or are added at a much slower rate than the following, which can cause newer and more problems to troubleshoot:

a) the addition of new software to your system.
    b) the change of operating system.
    c) viruses.

2. There may be a course that deals with this stuff, but I doubt it.

3. Troubleshooting is different on everyone's PC and you also need to know basics, like how to edit the registry, in order to perform a lot of steps.

4. Every program is different. They all have their own idiosyncracies.

I've been doing tech support (also as my day job) for close to 4 years. All I do all day long is answer the phone and do this. There's only a minute or two between calls. 30 to 40 calls per day. You can't get that kind of knowledge from a book. You also have to learn how to "translate" what the person is asking.

As for your problem, are you saving to a network drive? If so, don't. Work from your hard drive until you're done. Otherwise, if you're working in the same document, then perhaps the document's got some problems. You can email it to me and I'll review it. Email is in my profile.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice