1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97 convert to Word 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kbrewer, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbrewer

kbrewer Thread Starter

I found a bunch of old 3 1/2" floppy dislettes I thought I'd lost. The docs on the diskettes were written with Office/Word 97. Now have Vista, Office 2007. Word 2007 will NOT read old Word docs. Says "You have attempted to open a file that was created in an earlierl version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening in this Word version by your registry settings." Then it proceeds to send me to an internet site that explains in great detail how much danger there is in attempting to change the registry settings. Have installed Office 97 on new computer and instructed the files to open in Word 97, but always defaults to 2007 and still won't read. I get the same message as above. I would love to have these docs back. Anybody know a workaround? I'll happily convert them to 2007 if necessary.

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

I beleive an office 03 installation can read them. So maybe if you would like to recover you documents you could open them on your work pc. If someone knows how to unlock office 07 to read the old documents you could try their methods as well.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Office 2007 can read Office 97 files just fine, so I suspect that the files concerned are actually office 95 files, not Office 97?

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Try this Word 2003 viewer from MS.
    Link

You won't be able to write to the doc, but you should be able to read it.

5. kbrewer

kbrewer Thread Starter

Thanks, Stoner. Downloaded Word Viewer 2003 and I can now read the docs. Don't really care that I can't edit them because at least I have the info on them and I'm a fast typist! The docs are a blast from my past (journal, magazine articles) and I really wanted to get to them.

6. randy_california

randy_california

kiwiguy is exactly right, don't know why you had a problem and am glad you found a way to open these.

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

I wasnt sure why that would happen either. I figured an 03 version would open them fine and in fact i never heard of the ms word viewer.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Perhaps these links will help some with compatibility issues with newer file formats that won't open with older MS office apps:

Microsoft OfficeCompatibilityPack
    instructions:
    Link

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice