Word 97: Converting to Data in Access 97

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ksuwyldkat

I have tried to convert a Word doc. that I receive daily into an Access 97 db. The document is in a table form, I convert text to table. For some reason it only reads 21 of the 22 columns. Each column does not always have information in it, but the first one in all the reports I tried do.

There is also a Comment line underneath the main record line, when I create the table it reads this as another record (I cannot think of a way to get it to delete the comment line as this is usually nothing that I need to track).

I try to paste into Access and get paste errors. I have tried to convert the Word doc to a form but have not been able to either. The reason I want to convert the document is the people who send it have a record number that they refer to, that right now I have to manually got to the original document. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hey K,

I wouldn't recommend trying to go direct from Word to Access, unless your table is perfectly, perfectly uniform. The formats of the two applications are just different enough to make it hellish...

As an intermediate step, you might in any case check to see what it gives you in Excel first. That's an idea, however vague, of what it will give you in Access. But without the data itself, I couldn't tell you where the bad is, only that the Office export/import engines aren't all they're cracked up to be... Other than that, we'll see what Dreamy has to say about it...

ksuwyldkat

Thanks. I did try using Excel and experienced the same jumblings. I am almost sure that this report is coming from a Access db on their side, so that is why I figured I could reverse the doc back.

P.S. I need to post more. The term "junior member" sounds so emasculating.

Anne Troy

Anne
emasculated (LOL) :

There's a button on the top toolbar, called Show/Hide. It looks like a backwards P. Turn it on when you open the document.

When you select your data before converting, you MUST select (for instance) 21 paragraph returns in order to get 21 columns. You may be selecting all the text, but missing that last paragraph return, which could be throwing you off. Also, just as important, select the paragraph return that appears after the last "cell" of the data AND ABSOLUTELY no additional paragraph returns that may appear beneath it.

I'll be happy to take a look at your sample doc...

techsupportgirl@home.com

Originally posted by ksuwyldkat
Thanks. I did try using Excel and experienced the same jumblings. I am almost sure that this report is coming from a Access db on their side, so that is why I figured I could reverse the doc back.
access to excel is about the best transfer but even that is limited, far better to export a table as an excel spreadsheet
- access to word usually takes a fair bit of reformatting as the export is to a .rtf file
- but that's not what you're asking LOL

try dreamy's method to get it into excel
once you have it looking good there, create your comparable table in access, including at least one record, and export to excel
- then transfer your excel table info into the exported excel table from access (lost you yet, i'm getting confused!)
- use the format painter tool to format the new info the same as the 'dummy info
- import to access

it's a bit of trial and error to avoid paste errors, especially as you need to set the field properties correctly for any queries you may want to do

a laborious learning effort but works well once you get the hang of it - i use the excel to access regularly for 1000 to 2000 record imports, each record having 20 or so fields - but it takes some trial and error

brainwave - if the original info is from a Db as you think - see if they can just send you the table, or portion of the table, that the information is from - may be a lot easier in the long run

Originally posted by ksuwyldkat
P.S. I need to post more. The term "junior member" sounds so emasculating.
but remember all those huge guys that were called 'junior' in school LOL

ksuwyldkat

Thanks JBcalg,

I will try your suggestion. I don't think I could get access to the original DB since it holds some secure information as well. I also sent a copy of the file to Dreamboat, from reading her past posts I have learned quite a few tricks for some other projects I have been working on.

Thanks to all!

Anne Troy

Anne
K: I only got one email from you--am I missing something? The first email came via Tech Support Guy and I replied to you so you'd have my address and the ability to attach the file. Did you get my email? If you replied with the file attached, I didn't yet receive it.

ksuwyldkat

Could be a problem with our exchange server. I will send again. Oops I just realized that is on a disk at work. (and of course I am playing hooky tomorrow since we are having good weather) Dreamboat, I will send it to you on Monday. Thanks again for all the help.

I'd echo what JB says; if it's going from Access to Access, all those intermediate steps aren't worth it. If there's secure stuff they don't want to send you, they can just run a make-table query, export the made table to a clean db, and send it to you. Way easier--and better results for all parties concerned--in the long run.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts