1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97: Converting to HTML

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Talismanic, Apr 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Talismanic

Talismanic Thread Starter

I have a Word 97 file that I want to convert to HTML. The problem is that it is 48 pages of text and it ends up being a 858 kb file. It is all text (football stats) so most of the file size is attributed to the bloat that Word 2000 adds to it when it does the conversion. Does anybody know of a program that will convert doc files into HTML without all the extra overhead? Or is there a way to strip out the extra tags?

2. RandyG

RandyG

Do you need to keep your formatting?

You could copy all the text to Notepad, or wordpad if the file is too large, and save as "*.* All Types" and in the File Name box just type in "Football Stats.htm"

It does work.

3. GrayGuy

GrayGuy

Dreamweaver v4 has a menu bar option especially for removing all the extra HTML tags inserted by the Word conversion.

4. Talismanic

I tried to do it with out the format but the author of the original doc wasn't very consistent with the way (s)he set up the stats so it made the results un-readable.

I was hoping there was a freeware/shareware program that I could use to get the same effect. I did manage to get 200K out of the file but it is very tedious. I think if I could strip the garbage out I could start formating it with tables.

If you are curious or don't have any thing else to do the page can be found here. Be warned it takes a while to load though. I think it goes back to 1927.

Mendon Football Stats

5. donna6197

donna6197

Would a HTML editor like Arachnophilia be useful.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Email it. I'll check out the formatting. 8 pages is nothing. I've also got Word 2K and also FrontPage 2K and maybe the conversion is nicer. I don't know. Be happy to give it a shot for ya.

7. RandyG

RandyG

Talismanic posted the link for the document, and it's 48 pages. I tried converting myself, but still had about the same amount as he did.

Good Luck!

Faux pas corrected! Hopefully in time!

:D

[Edited by RandyG on 04-27-2001 at 12:43 PM]

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Tal is a he. LOL!

Okay, I took a look. I'm thinking if you turn those columns into tables and where you're using tabs to align text in the center....I guess what I'm saying is that if this were formatting properly, we could get this down quite a bit. I got 674KB.

Tal, if it can wait, I can give it a shot tonight. I'd much rather have your original DOC file, tho, if it's available.

[Edited by Dreamboat on 04-27-2001 at 12:45 PM]

9. RandyG

RandyG

whoopsies!

10. Talismanic

No don't spend any more time with this. I am encouraging the people who want this posted on the web to either do it with HTML tables or to put the information in a database and have it displayed to the page dynamicaly with ASP.

I think if the page was just text it wouldn't take up any room at all but if you look at the source, Word puts all kinds of crap into the HTML to control formating. I was just hoping that somebody had come up with a tool that would just strip the garbage out of the HTML.

Thanks anyways!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice