1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97 document no longer can be opened

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Worried19, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I have a Word 97 document (.doc) that all of a sudden is no longer openable by the very Word 97 that created it. I tried what the error message said, but nothing helped.

Is it "corrupted"? Is there a file repair tool that will tell me what's wrong and fix it?

It will open in WordPad, but of course is mostly squares.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

3. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

Thanks, Kiwiguy

Reviewed above, did all, nothing worked, same error message, Word can't open the document. Any other ideas?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It must be badly corrupted.

In some cases all you can do is abandon it and use your backup copy.

What? No routine backup?

5. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I have backup of this document (a book in preparation), but the last few changes were lost. But I did manage to recapture them in another way.

I do not, however, have a routine backup. What do you recommend?

I am thinking about a backup with DriveImage of my whole hard drive onto CDs at occasional intervals, in case of crash or virus. But I wonder about the best day to day or week to week backup.

I have wxp and w98 networked. I wonder about backing up each to the other (important documents). Any advice?

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'll give it a shot if you want to email it to (removed)

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It may not have been corrupted as such but could it have been opened in a more recent version of Word and then been updated to that version. You could try clicking it in Explorer, use the Open With facility and then select Wordpad or even notepad if you don't mind losing some of the formatting attributes.

8. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

Dear Saga,

The formating is important. It will open in wordpad, but it is worthless there. Much gibberish (squares) along with the text with no formating. I don't see how it could have been updated to a later version. If it were, would there be a way to tell? Does the fact that it will open in wordpad mean anything?

I have emailed it to Anne (Dreamboat) to work on.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Updating to a newer version shouldn't make any difference at all anymore. That was true with much older versions of Office, but since 97 and up---shouldn't matter.

Anyway, I did try all my usual tricks, but it didn't work.

Worried: If you have access to a PC that can run a defrag on a floppy (win98 could, but I can't get my XP to do it), then put the file on a floppy, and run a defrag on it. That's often successful...

10. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

Dreamboat-

Did. Didn't work (used my w98). Still curious, but looks like answer is hidden. Thanks for the effort.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice