1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97: File Menu Missing from Menu Bar

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by snowman, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snowman

snowman Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a problem with Word 97 in the Office97 Suite. If you open Word and look at the Menu toolbar, the first word "File" and its associated drop downs are missing. How do you get it back?
    I have uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. It is still properly located in Excel, etc
    Thanks
    Snowman

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Please don't uninstall without asking next time...just kidding, but we could have saved you lots of time.

Go to Tools-Customize. Click on the Toolbars tab. Click on Menu Bar (just highlight it, don't uncheck it). Hit the RESET button on the right. Hit Ok.

All should be well, but let me know right away if it's not. There's a second fix to do that's still tons easier than reinstall.

Not only that, snow, but if you ever do a reinstall of Office 97 or 2000, you must first uninstall, then run Eraser (eraser 97 or eraser 2000, depending), then reinstall. This cleans the registry, which is where all these settings are stored. The settings can, for the most part, be reset without having to do this, tho, so just ask.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

i thought it was intriguing so i did it to mine too LOL

your normal.dot (template) has changed - the one that word starts with

with word closed

go to: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    and look for normal.dot
    rename it to something else - normalold.dot for instance

open word, the default normal.dot will be there with file/edit/view etc etc

if you'd made custom changes to your normal.dot, refer back to your saved one to recustomize it

for next time - once you have the start up the way you like it, save the normal.dot file so you can always revert back to it

4. snowman

snowman Thread Starter

sorry Dreamboat.
    reset did not work. What was your other idea?

Thanks
    Snowman

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice