1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

word 97...grrrrr

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ashkara, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashkara

ashkara Thread Starter

Hi there :)

I have been having mucho computer problems for the past few days, and every time I've done a search about a problem...I get directed to this site. So I figured you guys must be good! :D

For the last week or so, (much worse in the last three days), I have been having trouble with Word. For starters, my computer seems to become "unstable" whenever I open Word...everything slows down dramatically and the whole thing coughs and splutters, especially if I have webpages open at the same time. For a while, the cursor would get "sticky" every now and then, but for the last couple of days Word is completely freezing up. The cursor disappears, the keyboard locks down...and there is nothing I can do but press the Power button to turn it off.

Last night I got so frustrated that I not only saved (practically after each sentence!) on my computer, but I was saving onto a floppy as well. And this is what worries me most...I took the disc to work today, with a document on it that crashed on me four times last night, and it froze on my work computer!! I was afraid that I had a virus, so I went through pretty much this entire site and downloaded every suggestion I could find to clean my system up. I also ran a virus scan (Norton) which I usually do once a week anyway. Other than a bit of spyware (which I deleted), I didn't find anything suspicious looking.

So I guess my questions is...does it sound like a virus, or is there something running in the backgound that's causing it, or is my version of Word just really pigheaded?

Also, I am currently using Windows ME with Office 97, and a friend has suggested that I should update to XP (and Office XP I think he said?) Would this solve the problem?

Sorry this post is so long...thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    My comments/my opinions:

1. That document is corrupt. Send it to me and I can figure out what's wrong with it, likely.

2. Troubleshoot Word:

www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm and follow all the steps under Word Troubleshooting, just to be safe.

3. Clean up your PC, which likely needs to be done after all this crashing:
    www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm

3. p51

p51

Welcome Ashkara!!! As far as this site being good....there's none better. When it comes to Word problems, if Dreamboat can't fix them, no one can!!!

We all hope you enjoy the site and stick around!

p51

4. ashkara

ashkara Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome p51! :)

Dreamboat,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I managed to cut and paste the text of the problem document into a new one (on my work computer)...and the new copy seems to be working ok. I went to the site you suggested and I'm pretty sure that it's Word itself that's causing the problem, seeing as it's happened with at least 6 different documents over the last week - although the last one was worse than the others. Plus, my computer slows down as soon as I launch Word. I will clean my PC with the instructions your link provided before I shut it down tonight. I haven't done the Word troubleshooting yet...I will be putting XP (and Office XP) on my computer tomorrow, and figured that that would probably fix the Word problem at the same time. (Of course if I'm wrong about that..please tell me now!)

Again I appreciate the help, and the welcome. I am self-taught and know enough to DO things on the computer...but don't know enough to understand HOW I did it! (Confident but not terribly competent). lol

Take care xx

5. Miz

Miz

Problems such as you are experiencing with Word are almost always resolved by doing a search for and deleting the file "normal.dot." Word will re-create it when it's opened again.

You can also rename normal.dot to normal.old but I've found deleting it to be just as effective and you don't end up with a useless dot file.

6. jwdv22

jwdv22

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice