1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97: Runs More than one Window

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by andrewdaw, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

When I clck on a *.doc item it correctly opens the document in MSWord; however if MSWord is already running it doesnt seem to be aware of this & opens the programme a 2nd time. Is there any way of altering things so that clicking on a *.doc item will open it in the already-running version of MSWord

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think you would probably have to use the File>Open dialog of the existing document. But I'm going to move you to Business Applications where you should get a more definite answer.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

assuming you're running word2000, afraid you're SOL on this one, MS calls it single document interface, it looks like two (or more) word progs are open, but it's really just one

used to be able to turn it off, and still can in excel, but in word you keep getting the multiple 'words' in the task bar

read about it here

4. rds33

rds33

I think what you want is already happening, Andrew. There is just one copy of WORD in memory, but it processing more than one file.
    See the attachment for more evidence.
    -rds33

Attached Files:

• a7.jpg
      a7.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  5. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

When I press ctrl-alt-delete to get the no programme box it seems to confirm that there are in fact 2 copies of MS word running; furthermore this seems to be confirmed by the fact that if I close one down the other remains open.

6. rds33

rds33

I tried to duplicate your problem and could not, Andrew.

I opened 3 documents by clicking on the .doc file and each time saw a new icon appear in task tray, but a CAD revealed only one copy of WORD in memory.

I then invoked System Monitor (see attachment) and did the same thing looking for a spike in memory usage. It didn't happen. There was a tiny increase to accommodate the new .doc file, but that was all.

If you see multiple entries for WORD when you do a CAD, then you do have a problem with your system.

What to do about it? I don't know. I looked in my WORD documentation for an "Allow multiple copies of WORD" tag, but didn't find anything.

Let me know what your System Monitor test shows.

-rds33

Attached Files:

• am.gif
      am.gif
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

I havent' got systyem monitor installed, but when I looked at the perforemance tab after clicking on the system icon in control panel, it did indeed show a decrase in system resources free (from 54% to 43% to 41% every time I clicked on a new .doc icon - it certainly looks to me as if there are multiple versions of msword running.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    On a fresh reboot, open Word. Hit the "New document" button 5 times. Hit ctrl-alt-delete. If you don't see 5 winwords in there, it's working just like it should be.

If you do see more than one winword, then you have other issues, which could be caused by any number of things.

Your system resources sound very low to me. And I only lose 1% for each new document.

Perhaps you should do the following:

1. Delete your normal.dot file (while Word is closed). Word will create a new one after you launch it.

2. Make sure Outlook is not journaling, whether you use Outlook or not.

3. See if there is anything in the STARTUP folder under your Office folders. These could be starting up when you launch Word.

4. If you've got Windows 98, run msconfig and go to the startup tab to see what you're running in the background. I'll bet you've got tons of stuff in there--many of which don't need to be.

That's about all the suggestions I have at the moment.

10. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

When I open documents (either new or old) from within msword there's no problem (the test suggested only produces one copy of MSword, not five). The problem only occurs when I click on a .doc icon outside msword (eg when looking for a file in windows explorer, or when clicking on a .doc attachment to an e-mail in outlook express). My gut rection is that the problem is something to do with filetype details associated with .doc files (which curiously are defined as Word 6.0 document even though I run Word97). However I'm not sure what these should be set to: any suggestions?

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Close any/all Word windows.

Double-click a doc file and open it. Hit Help-About MS Word. What version does it say? If 6.0, then, either uninstall it or:

Find the files on your hard drive called winword.exe. Right-click, hit properties and check the versions. Note the location of the exe for the 97 version.

Then, hold left shift key and right-click any doc file.
    Choose Open With.
    Hit Browse and find the exe for Word 97 (see below first).
    Checkmark "always use this program..."
    Hit Ok.

If it opens in 97 now, then you should be okay.

But I really think you need to investigate what all versions of Word you're running. Sounds like you might have 6.0, 97, AND 2000. Decide which version you want to use when you double-click a file, then (as above) browse to the exe for THAT version.

12. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

'Find' in widows explorer shows up only one verson of winword.exe - & in fact i have only ever had word97 installed on this pc.
    I re-asigned winword.exe to open with all .doc files - but it doesn't seem to make any difference - clicking on them appears to automatically re-load an additional version of MSword

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hit Start-Run and type:

winword.exe /regserver

and hit enter. This should re-register Word into Windows, and will hopefully correct the problem.

14. andrewdaw

andrewdaw Thread Starter

all sorted
    thank you very much for your help

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Andrew, can you tell us what fixed it? That way, anyone who might do a search will know for sure which method worked.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice