1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 97 Scroll function

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by aroominyork, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aroominyork

aroominyork Thread Starter

Problem and scrolling in Word…. When I hit the wheel mouse and scroll down very slowly, I can control the scroll speed and when I return the black arrow to the centre of the vertical bar the scroll stops. But if I scroll a bit faster, the scroll carries on for a half second or so (which is a lot of scrolled text) after I return the arrow to the centre of the bar.

I’m running Word 97 on Windows 98SE. I have the same OS and Word on another PC and it controls the scrolling fine!

When I installed the mouse software (Chic 1330 5 button mouse), the Setup bumph said “Some other applications with mouse scrolling function may conflict with this mouse function. Remove these applications before install this mouse software.” If that’s the problem I’d appreciate help on what to remove – I just have the standard Buttons/Pointers/Motion tabs on the Mouse section of Control Panel.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like Windows is bufferring the scroll command from the wheel, and it shouldn't.

Have you tried uninstalling the Chic driver, and simply telling the system (what Windows system?) its a standard Wheel Mouse?

I find the Windows supplied drivers are usually better.

3. aroominyork

Thanks Kiwiguy.

The problem with uninstalling the driver and using the default one is that it's a 5 button mouse and I then won't be able to programme the 2 spare buttons.

I'm on Windows 98SE. Any other thoughts? It's weird that when I install the same mouse and drivers on my other PC that also runs W98SE and Word 97, the same scrolling works fine.

Mike

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Understood.
    I use a 5 button, 2 wheel mouse. The drivers seem fine though.

On the mouse settings in control panel, mine has a buffer length setting.
    Its under Mouse - Hardware - Properties - Advanced, but thats XP.

That will be your problem, but havent used 98 for so long I can't think how you can change it if the option doesn't exist.

5. aroominyork

No, I don't have that mouse-hardware-buffer option on Windows 98SE. So if anyone else has any ideas...?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice