1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

word 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GUSMAN, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I am doing a project for college, and it involves scanning various photos of bones and joints. I then use photoshop 5.5 to cut around them, and then paste into a word 97 document, along with some text about the respective joint.

Earlier on, when trying to open a previous document a message came up saying there was insufficient memory to open the fonts, and the document came up with just the pictures and no text.
    I checked my hard disk and there was plenty of space left so I shut down word, and restarted my pc and the problem went.

Only I have noticed about 150 Mb of my disk space has been used up somewhere and I cant think where.

Has this been caused by my earlier problem??
    Any help appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Gus.

2. Gram123

Gram123

Gus - MS Word does tend to use quite a chunk of memory. I used to have the problem where if I'd had several programs running during the day (even if they were now all closed), Word 97 would get the old "insufficient memory" error and I'd have to shut down.
    I've got a better PC since then and upgraded to Word 2000, and I no longer get the problem.

However, no MS Word error should write 150Mb of data to your HD. I'd suggest that if you know the date and a rough idea of the time that this free space disappeared, you can check to see which files were created/modified around that time.
    Go to Start, Find, Files or Folders. On the Name & Location tab, make sure your HD is shown (probably C: ), then click the Date tab.
    Click the Find All Files option and select "Created" from the drop down. Enter the 'between' dates (both dates the same if you know the date the write occurred) and then click Find Now.
    It will list all of the files created on the date(s) you specified on the drive yuou specified. You may need to scroll to the right to see the size column. If you click on the column header twice it will order the files in descending order of size (click once for ascending order).
    This should allow you to see if any new big files/programs have been saved to your PC.

Try this process again, but select "Modified" instead of "Created".

HTH
    Gram

3. Gram123

Gram123

Oh and bear in mind that scanned images can be pretty large - it may just be that you have 50 x 3Mb bone photos on your HD.

Gram

4. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Dear gram,
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I did the check I was supprised at all the stuff I found. The bone diagrams were pasted on to my documents and were also saved in the original form before I cut and pasted, so there was a heck of a lot of MB'S being used up, as the photos were saved as bitmaps as well.
    Couple this to the fact that I downloaded a trial of Paint Shop Pro , Twice by mistake (Duuuh) and It all added up. (80 MB's just for that alone).

I have converted the photos to JPG's now and deleted the bitmaps, so word is quicker when I am working with it. And I found a few more old applications I didn't need.

When I said 150 MB it was a guess, but not far off.
    Iwill remember your advice for any future Probs.
    Cheers now,
    Gus.i

5. Gram123

Gram123

Gus,

I take it that you know about taking care when removing applications from your PC?

Basically, you should always look for an Uninstaller that comes with most applications and use that first.
    If any app yuo want to remove has no uninstaller, go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel next.
    Don't just delete the app folder as traces of the program may be left in operation on your PC adn this can impact on other apps.

A recent example - We were stuck without any internet access for 20 days, after installing Windows XP. We tried a whole host of options to get the DUN to work properly, trawling through help files, reinstalling versions of Internet Explorer, performing ping and trace tests, installing new and varied modem drivers, altering the DNS Server addresses etc etc and still no joy.
    I finally discovered that my brother had deleted a program folder that was incompatible with Windows XP, rather than uninstalling it correctly.
    We went to Add/Remove Programs and found it hadn't been removed properly. Removed it and lo and behold, internet connection worked.
    A lesson learned for me, anyway.

Cheers.
    Gram

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice