Word and Excel 2007 - Programs open ok - documents take ages to open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computertechie

Hi,

Got a problem with Word and Excel 2007.

Both programs open ok (under 2 seconds), so no problems there.

The problem is opening the program by means of opening a document. It takes about 1 minute :mad:

Exactly the same thing with both Word and Excel.

Has anyone got a solution? Surely there must be a quick little registry tweak to sort this out?

Other info:
Outlook 2007 works ok, no delays
Windows XP works ok
No speed issues with computer
Did not previously have Office 2003
Word/Excel documents are local, computer is not on a network
Computer is free from spyware and viruses

computertechie

Does anyone have a solution? I've now got this problem on another customer computer (totally different spec) :mad:

Well, I had this problem when I was running on a 1.8 GHZ processor and 1.5 GB RAM. I ended up getting a different PC with a higher processor and RAM and haven't had that problem again.

Might want to check and see what Microsoft recommends for their processor and ram. This might do the trick.

---OR---
What I used to do to get it up faster was to minimize the window...it would automatically bring the window back up and the document would launch within second after that.

computertechie

It's nothing to do with the computer spec. It's a new machine.

A 20 kilobyte file should not take 1 minute to open.

It is software related, yet I cannot seem to find a solution on the Internet despite finding many occurences of people saying they have the same problem as me. Too many answers such as defrag, spyware, upgrade your memory, etc - none of which are the problem.

Do you have anti-virus running on the PC. AVG and Norton both have functionality to scan Office Documents. This plug-in has caused me numerous loading problems and I ultimately had to remove it.

Regards,
Rollin

computertechie, all:
The problem is known to MS and the solution is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937

In our case it was related to the installation of a network shared HP printer all-in-one machine. Turns out the 3 card readers on the printer installed themselves as Shared Network drives. Then each time office tried to list file location sites it would hang trying to open the disconnected shared network drives.

Deleting those drives then rebooting immediately fixed our problems with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online