1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word and Excel Freeze on startup

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by strideeternal, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strideeternal

strideeternal Thread Starter

Hi,

When I try to open either Word or Excel from microsoft 2007 they freeze either before fully loading or after. I cannot type anything into either.

However, when I open one of these types of documents from an email attachment they load fine and do not freeze.

2. gyclone

gyclone

This is admittedly a bit of a shot in the dark, but it could be that you have corrupted auto-recovery files that are trying to load when you launch the program. As long as you are sure there aren't any documents that crashed that you'll need to recover, you can delete any existing auto-recovery files and see if that helps.

• Hit Start, the Run
    • Type "%AppData%", without the quotes, and hit "OK"
    • When the Application Data folder window opens, navigate to Microsoft -> Word
    • Check the Word folder for any files ending in ".asd" or ".ard" and delete them, or just move them to a different folder if you think you might need them
    • Go up one folder level and then into the "Excel" folder and delete the ".asd" and ".ard" files from that location
    • Re-launch Excel and Word and see if it works

3. strideeternal

strideeternal Thread Starter

I tried your suggestion but it doesn't seem to have helped, unfortunately. There was only one file there to delete in word and non in excel so that must not be the problem.

These programs won't even load in safe mode and since i'm a student this is particularly harsh but thank you for the try.

4. gyclone

gyclone

Bummer. You've got some very strange circumstances there. You can go into "Add/Remove Programs" in your Control Panel and try to "Repair" the programs there. Since the problem is affecting both programs, though, my gut is telling me that the problem is not directly with Word or Excel, but rather with either some shared Office component or something else in your system that might seem completely unrelated. If you have an Office Installation disc, I'd recommend that you uninstall and reinstall Office.

Also, just in case you haven't already, restart your computer before you try anything else. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice