1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word asks to copy doc

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RCTII, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCTII

RCTII Thread Starter

When opening a document in Word97 under XP Home, get a popup stating the file is in use by "user" (the logged on person). Ok or Cancel to make a copy.

What's the method of avoiding this popup?

Gracias

2. GrantWriter

GrantWriter

R, the last time I had this happened, somehow the Word properties had been default set as "Read Only". There are two ways you should be able to use to cure this. Open the doc you want and tell the message yes. Then go into Properties under File and uncheck Read Only. Or open and say yes, then Save As, being sure that Read Only is not checked. Actually I would probably try the second way first. Have you already tried either of these methods? GW

3. berk765

berk765

You can also use Windows Explorer to find the file, right click on it and then uncheck read only. You should be able to open it with word without the message after that.
    I find that if I move files around using a CD the file gets set to read only and I have to do this to clear it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice