1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word doc help, is the file corrupt?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GiveItUp4VOS, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GiveItUp4VOS

GiveItUp4VOS Thread Starter

Trying to help my mom out with some of her word docs and if I open some of those docs, I get the following screenshot

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It could be that she used different encoding. But make sure that thy are actually Word docs. A doc file can be any of many types of file and will only look normal sometimes in the program that created it.

Could she have used a different language?

3. GiveItUp4VOS

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure she just used word (probably 2003) with basic default settings.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is the "Extension" (last 3 characters after the dot) of the file name?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try some of the other encodings, like the different Windows ones, ISO's and UTF's. It's possible she set it to something different (or it was set already depending on the locale used for her installation). It certaily looks like text with symbols substituted for letters.

Does it look like it is set up the way you'd expect? It doesn't appear to be paragraphs, but maybe a list of some sort.

6. GiveItUp4VOS

They are .doc files.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice