Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Word doc is locked by "Owner." Me.

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I was writing several pages of an important Word document when suddenly I was confronted with the following:
"Doc is locked for editing. By owner." (that's me).
"Click to notify to open read only copy of the doc and receive notification when the doc is no longer in use."
I'm unable to continue to write and save in the usual manner. Please help, guys. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3061 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238315 MB, Free - 148961 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the model name and model number of your Dell desktop?
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

What's the exact version of Microsoft Office installed in that desktop?
Note: Since you say it's a .doc document and not a .docx document, I'm going to assume it's version 2003 or older.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
What's the model name and model number of your Dell desktop?
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

What's the exact version of Microsoft Office installed in that desktop?
Note: Since you say it's a .doc document and not a .docx document, I'm going to assume it's version 2003 or older.

--------------------------------------------------------------
My Dell is "Inspiron . 530". The only number I can find at the rear is: 71B2B1. I have Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. Wherever I wrote "Doc" I meant Document.

#5 ·
Sounds like the last time you were in this file, it did not get closed right.

Exit the file and Word. Then Open Windows Explorer (Computer or Documents). Then browse to the folder that this problem file is in.
Look any "Temp" files.
These temp files will have an extension of tmp or temp and then there are some that will start with a "~". These need to be deleted as they are locking the file.

#6 ·
I have Firefox & Explorer. I use the Firefox. I have basic knowledge (lack expertise). I opened Explorer. You said: "browse to folder." I went to Documents and opened the folder (the file).
I don't know how or where to look at "Temp" files for extensions of tmp or temp. Help is appreciated.

#7 ·
You need to open a file manager, ie Windows Explorer or My Computer, not Firefox or Internet Explorer which are web browsers.

To see this file you must enable the Show Protected Files option first: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/
Once you delete the file you can re-enable the settings again to hide the files. The file you want to delete will start with ~ and then have the same file name as the document you are having having trouble with.

#8 ·
My Dell is "Inspiron . 530". The only number I can find at the rear is: 71B2B1. I have Microsoft Office 2000 Professional.
Recheck that number. It should have 7 characters.

I haven't used Office 2000 Professional in a long time, so I can't remember if it's compatible with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
After having been locked from this file for a couple of days, while waiting to hear back from you all, I went to my documents to kill time, and opened the file--amazing, I was suddenly allowed to enter text, to save it. I closed it again to test, reopened, typed, saved, and it worked! I still don't get it. One of the great mysteries of life. Thanks so much for all your interest and input. You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.