1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Docs not opening by double clicking

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Everlife, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everlife

Everlife Thread Starter

Hiya guys, slight problem here.

One of our employees is having problems opening word documents by double clicking them in explorer. If you go into word and open it manually it works fine. I read the earlier solution about them being created with an earlier version of word, however, this is not the case. I created a temp doc and still could not open it by double clicking.

She is not having problems opening any other type of document. Just that one.

Thanks in advance.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Right click one of them, open with and check the box to always open with. THe association sounds hosed.

3. Everlife

Everlife Thread Starter

Tried that. The file association is still set to Word.

4. HeddaLora

HeddaLora

This may be out in left field, but whenever I have a strange, unfixable problem in Word, one of the first things I try when troubleshooting is to rename normal.dot. When normal.dot goes corrupt, all manner of strange things can happen. So it's worth a try. Close Word, rename normal.dot to normal.old, reopen Word (it will create a new normal.dot). Then try double-clicking the filename in Windows Explorer and see if it works now. If so, then you're in business. You can copy any macros you had in the old normal.dot into the new normal.dot using the organizer.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Windows Explorer
    Tools / Folder Options / File Types

remove the one(s) for doc and the do the right click association.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice