Word Docs not opening by double clicking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Everlife

Hiya guys, slight problem here.

One of our employees is having problems opening word documents by double clicking them in explorer. If you go into word and open it manually it works fine. I read the earlier solution about them being created with an earlier version of word, however, this is not the case. I created a temp doc and still could not open it by double clicking.

She is not having problems opening any other type of document. Just that one.

Thanks in advance.

Right click one of them, open with and check the box to always open with. THe association sounds hosed.

This may be out in left field, but whenever I have a strange, unfixable problem in Word, one of the first things I try when troubleshooting is to rename normal.dot. When normal.dot goes corrupt, all manner of strange things can happen. So it's worth a try. Close Word, rename normal.dot to normal.old, reopen Word (it will create a new normal.dot). Then try double-clicking the filename in Windows Explorer and see if it works now. If so, then you're in business. You can copy any macros you had in the old normal.dot into the new normal.dot using the organizer.

Windows Explorer
Tools / Folder Options / File Types

remove the one(s) for doc and the do the right click association.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online