Word docs now not opening. SOS!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheDeviluKnow

:(
I have the following computer:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Mac OS X
Microsoft Word came on this computer; I have no info on which Word version but I have not changed it since I bought it.

I had a file on my My Book that was in Word. I attempted to save it to a disk. The picture of the disk then became an icon on my screen. When I opened this, it showed the file was saved. I took the disk out and then put it back into the computer. When I checked it, it showed nothing was on the disk itself.

So, I re-saved it again and got a message to "burn" the disk. I clicked YES.The picture of the disk then became an icon on my screen. When I opened this, A bunch of other files showed on the disk, but not the one I wanted downloaded.

I deleted all of the files on the disk. NOW a ? has appeared on my Word icon "W" and nothing in Word will open. I get a message
"The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in a different format than you expect."
The document will open in Pages, but I need it back in Word!!!
Thanks & I truly hope someone can assist...:confused:

I REALLY need the file.

Your post was hard to understand, so some questions wil help clarify things.

Microsoft Word came on this computer; I have no info on which Word version but I have not changed it since I bought it.
When you start Word, click the Word menu item in the menubar and the About Word option should show you the version.
Additionally, what version of OS X are you running? (Apple Menu, About This Mac...)

I had a file on my My Book that was in Word. I attempted to save it to a disk.
When you say disk, what are you referring to? A hard disk, a CD, a USB stick?

The picture of the disk then became an icon on my screen. When I opened this, it showed the file was saved. I took the disk out and then put it back into the computer. When I checked it, it showed nothing was on the disk itself.
This is very confusing.Again, not sure what you mean by disk, but also the desktop icon for an attached device shouldn't appear after you save a file.It should appear after you insert/attach it or format it if unformatted.
Additionally, on some storage devices, like USB sticks, even if the save dialog is done, the hardware isn;t done writing and you have to wait to safely remove it.

So, I re-saved it again and got a message to "burn" the disk. I clicked YES.The picture of the disk then became an icon on my screen.
You got the message to burn from within Word when you tried to save?

When I opened this, A bunch of other files showed on the disk, but not the one I wanted downloaded.
It almost sounds like you were dragging the file manually in Finder to a CD or DVD.

I deleted all of the files on the disk. NOW a ? has appeared on my Word icon "W" and nothing in Word will open. I get a message
"The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in a different format than you expect."
Do you mean that the icon for the Word application has change to a question mark or a Word file?

Is the Word application still in your /Applications folder?

The document will open in Pages, but I need it back in Word!!!
Thanks & I truly hope someone can assist...:confused:
If Word is still installed, you should be able to right click on the file and choose Open With... and select the Word application.

TheDeviluKnow

When you start Word, click the Word menu item in the menubar and the About Word option should show you the version.
WORD WILL not open. From anywhere.
Additionally, what version of OS X are you running? (Apple Menu, About This Mac...) VERSION 10.4.11
When you say disk, what are you referring to? A hard disk, a CD, a USB stick?
A CD
but also the desktop icon for an attached device shouldn't appear after you save a file
I KNOW, BUT IT DID APPEAR. STRANGE.
You got the message to burn from within Word when you tried to save?
YES. was saving it to cd when I got the prompt to burn it.
Do you mean that the icon for the Word application has change to a question mark or a Word file?
THE WORD icon is still in my dock but will do nothing when clicked, and there is a grey ? on it.
Is the Word application still in your /Applications folder?
NOPE
If Word is still installed, you should be able to right click on the file and choose Open With... and select the Word application
TRIED THAT... but when 'open with' appears, there is no choice for Word.

OS X has never had the ability to directly burn to CDs from within applications except with the use of 3rd party software.
This software is very old and no long supported. (I believe it was called Roxio DirectCD)
Do you have this software installed?

It sounds like you somehow tried to move the Word application itself to the CD, not a Word file.

You can use the Spotlight search in the upper right of the menubar to search for "Word" but it sounds like you accidentally deleted it.

If so you should first look in the Trash and see if it is still in there. (double click Trash icon)

If it is not there, your other option is trying an undelete program like Data Rescue, File Savage, or some of the others.
(You'll just have to find a version that works with OS X 10.4)

Since that version of Word isn't likely legal anyways, you could always trying using a free alternative like NeoOffice.
(NeoOffice is a word processing application, where as Pages is more a desktop layout application)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online