1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word document names in blue!?!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by EBSchrader, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EBSchrader

EBSchrader Thread Starter

Since this morning when I was working with a Word document, now all at once there are a bunch of documents showing up in My Computer in blue! Everything else is in black, as usual. I jumped all around to see if this is consistent, and I can't tell why or when these files are now shown in blue like a highlighted URL (which they aren't!). There are also other types of individual files now showing in blue, but no folders. What's going on?:confused:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

If you are running Windows XP, the blue filenames may indicate compressed files.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c18621675.mspx
    Both encrypted and compressed files can be displayed with alternate colors in My Computer. Encrypted files are green, and compressed files are blue. Files and folders can either be encrypted or compressed, but they cannot be both encrypted and compressed.​

That page also has information on the Folder Options settings to control the use of colors to indicate compressed and encrypted files.

3. EBSchrader

I have never encrypted or compressed files, and these are really hit or miss. I just now recalled that I downloaded and installed a file today for for working with MS Office files in 2007 when I have 2003. Could that be doing it? It was mentioned here for someone who couldn't open files with the X ending, like .docx -- which I don't have! I haven't explored the program -- maybe it changes colors for some reason....

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I have heard about the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for Office 2003. So far, I am not in any hurry to install it on any of my PCs. Still waiting to let others find out if it creates more problems than it solves. :D

5. EBSchrader

I uninstalled it, but the blue color didn't go away, even after rebooting. The only other thing I've done is to run Disc Cleanup. Does that compact older files? And turn their titles blue?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes, if that is a selected option, disc cleanup will compress old file, then they will appear with blue filenames.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549121