1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Document (.rtf) editing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Brian Elfie, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brian Elfie

Brian Elfie Thread Starter

Hi

I transferred some perosnal files (.rtf) from my corporate laptop(XP) to my laptop(Office 2007) and then from my laptop to a third laptop(XP). When I try to open this .rtf file in this third laptop, the file opens but does not allow me to do any type of editing - it does not allow to copy the contents of this file, the .rtf simply closes without giving any warning or error message. I've too many such .rtf files and cannot afford to live with this problem. I urge you guys to provide some way out of this frustrating problem. I tried to save this (.rtf) file to word (.doc) file with a new name but it still does not allow any editing and closes on its own.

Please help.

Brian

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is this affecting all RTF files or just this one in particular?

You can try inserting the RTF file into a new Word document. First open a new blank Word doc and then click INSERT --> FILE from menu bar. Navigate to the RTF and insert it into the new doc.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. Brian Elfie

Hi Rollin

Thanks for your response. This problem is relevant only for the .rtf files I transferred from my corporate laptop. I did as suggested by you but the problem still persists. After inserting the .rtf in a new word document and saving, it does open up but it closes after few seconds without any warning message. Any other help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

Brian

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you tried opening the file in Notepad? Right click it and select OPEN WITH and choose Notepad from the list of programs.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. Brian Elfie

Hi Rollin

It does open via notepad program but can save only as .txt file and that ruins the page format completely. If I save as, say, .rtf or .doc, the problem still persists ie., it does not allow editing and closes after a few seconds without any warning message.

Once again thanks for your inputs and pl. let me know if you think of any other alternative.

thanks

Brian

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Perhaps it's a permissions thing. Make sure that your username has full rights to the file/s

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice