Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Word: drop-down list to fill in memo forms

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  XL Guru 
#1 ·
In our transcription business we type hundreds of memos in a month's time.

I want to create a drop-down list (intended for validation) so my typists can select 1 of 15 names instead of manually typing each author's name each time.

I followed instructions in Word Help to create a drop-down list in a template but I can't find out how to get the drop down list to appear for use in the template. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time using this forum.

#3 ·
Rightclick the menu bar, choose “Customise” from the pop-up. On the Commands tab, choose “New Menu” from the Categories list. Drag “New Menu” from the Commands list to your menu bar. Rightclick the "New Menu" command in the menu bar, rename as “Authors”, press Enter.

#4 ·
Then what you do is create AutoText entries for the names. Type eg: “Bill Bryson” (w/out quotes) in a doc, then select it, then hit ALT+F3. Click OK when prompted by Word. Then you can go thru the Customise thing again, but this time choose AutoText from the Categories list. Then you can drag specific AutoText entries from the Commands list to the Authors custom menu.

Rgds,
Andy

#6 ·
Hi Andy ~

Thank you for well-written steps to try. I had never used auto text or the new menu commands before. However, I must be on a older version of Word than you ? I only have Word 2002 and those steps you outlined don?t act quite the same as you described. For example, when I right-click on ?new menu? on the menu row, rename is not one of the choices - the only choices are which toolbars to select/deselect.

Also, when I create the auto text entry and drag it to the ?new menu,? the new entry doesn?t fall under/within the ?new menu? but rather becomes another menu on the same level. So at the moment on my Menu bar I now have ?New Menu? and ?Susan Ewalt? and then ?New Menu? (I tried it a second time). Clicking on the ?new menu? entries do nothing.

What version of Word do you use? Maybe it?s time to upgrade.

Thanks,
Sandy

#7 ·
I have Word 2K ; you just fell foul of a couple of bits that are quite hard to put into words. My bad.

>> when I right-click on ?new menu? on the menu row,
>> rename is not one of the choices

You must do this when the Customise dialog is visible. So rightclick the menu (or a toolbar) and select "Customise", then rightclick on "?new menu? on the menu row", in the background. Drag the Customise dialog by its titlebar out of the way, if needs be.

>> the new entry doesn?t fall under/within the ?new menu?
>> but rather becomes another menu on the same level.

This bit's a little tricky. The key is to briefly hover the dragged item over ?new menu? ; then the ?new menu? should expand so you can drop onto it, rather than next to it.

If you still can't get, I can walk you thru with Remote Assistance if you have MSN (mail to andydotjdotbrown@ntlworlddotcom)

Rgds,
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.