1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Word, Excel slow opening over network since windows update

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ozegirl, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Did Windows update last night on 2 Windows 7 computers. This morning, I can still access Word, Excel and Access documents from Computer 1 of files that are resident on Computer 2 via a mapped network drive. However they take an exceedingly long time to open, the splash screen comes up with Contacting..\\network computer\folder and it stays there a long time before it gets to Processing... after which the file opens.

It's Office 365 on both computers and this morning I updated Office on both thinking this might be the issue and the solution. But still the same.

I can open non-Office documents via the network drive instantly. Office documents open on both machines locally fine. It's just Office documents via the network. There is no network issue because I can access the drive quickly and open other files quickly.

I tried a quick repair of Office - and still the same problem, though my Access database now seems to open normally - but Word and Excel are still way slow.

I also restarted the computer but still slow. Anyone else having this problem? Seems to be just since the Windows update, was fine yesterday.

EDIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Some further information that may point to a cause:

If I open a file in Subfolder 1, file “A” – it “looks” for it…(Contacting…\\Network Computer\Folder)…

If I then open another file “B” in the same Subfolder A, it opens straight away. Ditto other files.

If I then open a file in Subfolder 2, file “C” – it has to look for it. If I then open other files in Subfolder 2, they open straight away.

Now if I go back to Subfolder 1, (without closing Explorer), I can open any file previously opened quickly. However if I open a previously unopened file “K” – it takes time. Then other files will open quickly.

If I go back to Subfolder 2, the same – previously opened files will open quickly, but the first previously unopened file will take time.

If I close the explorer window and come back later and open the file directory again and go back to Subfolder 1 or 2, even if it’s to open a previously opened file, it will take time.

It’s as if in any given location, it has to find the location, then find the file – once having found the file, it remembers where that file is and can also easily find other files in the same folder. But navigating away from that folder and back again means having to rediscover the path all over again, unless it was a previously opened file, and albeit that if explorer has been closed then reopened it all starts out having to search from scratch again.

This is one computer accessing a folder on another computer as a network drive.

I also have an actual NAS network drive and I tested that – same thing. Files other than Office files will open straight away, but Office files take a long time.

I thought at first that it was just Word and Excel, but then realised that the Access database opened quickly because I had previously opened it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, I don't know if this is correct but there is a lag when Windows updates the filelists and depending on the number of shares this can take some time.
    I have the same issue with my NAS, the first time I browse it takes long then its okay
    I disabled the file indexing for 'quicker' search and this helped. give it a shot. No cure, well, you tried it :)

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Strange thing is though, it only happens with Word and Excel files and it's not as if there has been a multitude of new files added. No settings were changed etc - I'm reluctant to disable file indexing as we rely on the search facility heavily, and use the search within file contents option.

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    It is only with Office that this seems to happen.
    Don't have a better answer for you

5. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks again :)

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    You're welcome

7. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Just an update to close off this post: I have tried about a dozen different things after googling many sites for ideas of how to fix this. No one thing made a real difference, but after trying everything, there seemed to be a slight improvement – though from time to time even this seemed to vary.

In the end, I discovered that although the first file always takes a long time to open (and of course that is always the case when opening Word for the first time) – that whereas before, even if that document was then closed and another one opened, it would open almost straight away, that with this new problem, this happened only if I stayed in the same sub-folder. I have now found that having opened the first document, as long as I I keep that first document open, generally I can open other documents quickly – regardless of whether they are in the same folder or not.

I have also come up with a workaround, because even so, sometimes the documents are still taking too long to open.

I have installed Sugarsync which is an online syncing and storage app. This means that I can have the documents locally on my computer and work on them there and then they are synced to my husband’s computer and vice versa. This gets around the slow opening over the network issue. A bit of a hammer to kill a fly approach, but my husband was already using Sugarsync to copy his documents to the cloud so I thought we may as well make use of it to alleviate this problem. I had wondered whether Sugarsync may have been part of the issue as it uses network resources, but it has never been a problem before and the issue was present regardless of whether I was accessing files linked to Sugarsync or not, and also even if I was accessing files on our NAS which is not operating with Sugarsync.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice