1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word/Excel won't open on its own-needs to be done manually.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rosemrman1, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosemrman1

Rosemrman1 Thread Starter

When I try to open Word and Excel Files, Windows ask how I should open them. I have to manually select Word and Excel from the list that shows all the different programs on the computer. Once I manually tell it to open in Word or Excel it does, but it is an inconvience. Also each file does not have a Word or Excel Logo, it is white with a little computer screen in the middle. Each file is saved as ".xls" or ".doc" files. Any help with this would be great! Thanks!

Matt

Also-any idea how to open ".RAR" files?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Slightly dependent on Windows version (which you omit to mention) but:
    Using Windows Explorer, navigate to any .xls file, right click it and select "open with"
    (you may need to hold shift down when right clicking).
    Select "choose program" (even if Excel is in the drop down list) and then choose Excel, make sure the "always use this program" box it ticked.

Then do the same with a .doc file, but this time select Word as above.

That will set your file associations.

.rar is a compressed file, opened by a program called WinRar (not part of Windows or Office, Google would find you a download copy)

3. jdscott

jdscott

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice