1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word: "file not available"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lostyankee, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostyankee

lostyankee Thread Starter

I had to leave for a while so excuse my time lag.
    XP Pro, Word will not open saved and back-up'd files. When closing Word, I recieve a message on changes to "Normal" file.
    Please send lawyers, guns and $.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Search for and destroy all occurrences of "normal.dot" files

Make sure word is not running at the time.

They are system files so enable these to be viewed under search options.

Normal.dot is the default template, a new one will be created the next time word is run, if there is not one present.

It causes all sorts of problems if it gets corrupted. It sounds as though you may have a macro in your normal.dot thats screwing up.

3. lostyankee

Thanks Kiwiguy.
    ... some progress. Now when closing Word, word does not cycle "changes to normal ... replace?" but still can't open files. Unhid and deleted all normal.dot files. ?!? Any clues?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"still can't open files"

What exactly happens when you try and open one of these files from within Word (File - Open - <navigate to one of the files> Open

5. lostyankee

What happens when I try to open a word file ... small window opens stating "file (name) is not available". Then when closing word ... small window opens stating "Changes have been made to the global settings in Normal. Do you want to save changes?" If I answer no, the window opens again asking to save Normal changes. If I answer yes, Word will close. I have unhidded all files, deleted all normal files which removed the "save changes to Normal message, but I still cannot open any Word files.
    Because time constraints, I'm scrubbing the hard drive and starting over but I do wish to understand what happened and how to fix incase I see this !*!*# again.
    Thanks for the input.

6. lostyankee

Bounce. Scrubbed hard drive but would like to figure out the solution if this ever occurs again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice