Word: "file not available"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lostyankee

I had to leave for a while so excuse my time lag.
XP Pro, Word will not open saved and back-up'd files. When closing Word, I recieve a message on changes to "Normal" file.
Please send lawyers, guns and $.

Search for and destroy all occurrences of "normal.dot" files

Make sure word is not running at the time.

They are system files so enable these to be viewed under search options.

Normal.dot is the default template, a new one will be created the next time word is run, if there is not one present.

It causes all sorts of problems if it gets corrupted. It sounds as though you may have a macro in your normal.dot thats screwing up.

lostyankee

Thanks Kiwiguy.
... some progress. Now when closing Word, word does not cycle "changes to normal ... replace?" but still can't open files. Unhid and deleted all normal.dot files. ?!? Any clues?

"still can't open files"

What exactly happens when you try and open one of these files from within Word (File - Open - <navigate to one of the files> Open

lostyankee

What happens when I try to open a word file ... small window opens stating "file (name) is not available". Then when closing word ... small window opens stating "Changes have been made to the global settings in Normal. Do you want to save changes?" If I answer no, the window opens again asking to save Normal changes. If I answer yes, Word will close. I have unhidded all files, deleted all normal files which removed the "save changes to Normal message, but I still cannot open any Word files.
Because time constraints, I'm scrubbing the hard drive and starting over but I do wish to understand what happened and how to fix incase I see this !*!*# again.
Thanks for the input.

lostyankee

Bounce. Scrubbed hard drive but would like to figure out the solution if this ever occurs again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online