1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word for Windows: win95-->win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by frangeb, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

I am building a new computer running win 98. I am copying files from my present win 95 computer (on which I am writing this note)to a CD-RW and from the CD to C: of the 98 system. Some files copy with no difficulty, e.g., an old (1990) but adequate MSWorks program. Other application programs have been installed directly from the original CD with no difficulty, so I have confidence that I have installed win 98 correctly. I have tried to transfer a Word for Windows program (also ca. 1990)from the 95 system to the 98 system with only partial success. I can display previously written .doc material which appear in the font and size originally written. New materials can be written only 10 point Tms Rmn. I have no control over either the font style or the font size. When the font style or font size menus are brought down, both are blank.

(How)does the Word program read the Windows Font program to establish font type and size?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

check the C:\WINDOWS\FONTS folder for the fonts you have installed on both PCs

in the old program - is there a compatibility option in the Tools menu, Options (if such a thing exists)

is there a document template - nromal.dot in later versions of word - try a file,find for .dot files on the old machine

i'm a great one for recycling :) but maybe you should consider an upgrade - or perhaps the (free!) star office stuff from sun microsystems

option 2 - and you may be too far along for it - is transfer the entire hdd to the new PC - W95 and all programs
    - then install W98 on top
    - then clean up afterwards re: unwanted programs etc
    - not as good by far as a clean install of the OS but you get to keep the programs

3. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts, jbcalg. There is a 2KB Normal.dot file in Winword of the _new_ computer
    but nothing of equivalent name or size in the _old_ system. There are also 11 choices under Tools\Options, but Compatibility is not one of them. Under Format there are Font and Font Size choices which I can use to change font type and size by typing them in manually in the Format\Character box or in the appropriate slots on the workpage. I think that this would indicate that the Word program is communicating with the Fonts program. I just can't get the font type and size displayed for my choice in the appropriate menus. The menu boxes come down, but they're empty.

As regards Option 2, I've done successfully exactly what you suggest twice before. I thought that I would start from scratch this time. And Yes I'm too far along to turn back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice