1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WORD Formatting problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RJDCHOA, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJDCHOA

RJDCHOA Thread Starter

MS WORD

I have a formatting issue that has been following me for a couple of years. MS Support never "understood" and I gave up. However, I found this forum and I am trying for a solution again.

In Word, Word 2000, 2002, XP - all. On Win98, WinMe, NT4.0, win2K and WinXP.

If I select a word , sentence or paragraph and change anything, the change affects the entire document (even headers & footers) BUT NOT THE TEXT SELECTED.

If I follow with a single undo, it corrects everything to the desired result and all is well until I change something else.

Characteristics:

1. the operation may be bolding, italicizing, font size chage, margin change, style change -- it doesn't matter. Then, when I apply a format change it is as if the selection is inverted -you can't see an inverted selection, of course , but the behavior is as if the were inverted. If you follow with UNDO, the action of UNDO is weird in that it re-inverts everything (this is not the same as UNDO again) and gives the originally desired change.

2. it sometimes doesn't happen

3. it has followed me over different computers, different OS's, different MS OFFICE releases.

4. If it is a virus, I can't find anything to detect it, I can't find anything describing it. I have the latest Norton AV, also Spysweeper. Spybot, Pest Patrol.

Has anyone EVER seen this besides me?

Anyone know of a fix? :)

Thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Not *exactly* as you describe, no, but I think I know what you're talking about.

Word troubleshooting: www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm
    Primarily renaming normal.dot ought to help.

Also, use Dreamboat's recommended settings on that same page.
    Also, go into Format-Style and make sure "automatically update" is NOT turned on.

3. RJDCHOA

RJDCHOA Thread Starter

Thanks.

I tried all tyhis to no avail.

I was sure the normal.dot would help!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice