WORD Formatting problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RJDCHOA

MS WORD

I have a formatting issue that has been following me for a couple of years. MS Support never "understood" and I gave up. However, I found this forum and I am trying for a solution again.

In Word, Word 2000, 2002, XP - all. On Win98, WinMe, NT4.0, win2K and WinXP.

If I select a word , sentence or paragraph and change anything, the change affects the entire document (even headers & footers) BUT NOT THE TEXT SELECTED.

If I follow with a single undo, it corrects everything to the desired result and all is well until I change something else.

Characteristics:

1. the operation may be bolding, italicizing, font size chage, margin change, style change -- it doesn't matter. Then, when I apply a format change it is as if the selection is inverted -you can't see an inverted selection, of course , but the behavior is as if the were inverted. If you follow with UNDO, the action of UNDO is weird in that it re-inverts everything (this is not the same as UNDO again) and gives the originally desired change.

2. it sometimes doesn't happen

3. it has followed me over different computers, different OS's, different MS OFFICE releases.

4. If it is a virus, I can't find anything to detect it, I can't find anything describing it. I have the latest Norton AV, also Spysweeper. Spybot, Pest Patrol.

Has anyone EVER seen this besides me?

Anyone know of a fix? :)

Thanks

Anne Troy

Anne
Not *exactly* as you describe, no, but I think I know what you're talking about.

Word troubleshooting: www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm
Primarily renaming normal.dot ought to help.

Also, use Dreamboat's recommended settings on that same page.
Also, go into Format-Style and make sure "automatically update" is NOT turned on.

RJDCHOA

Thanks.

I tried all tyhis to no avail.

I was sure the normal.dot would help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online