1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word headers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by EBSchrader, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EBSchrader

EBSchrader Thread Starter

I'm working with a lengthy Word document and have struck a problem that I can't seem to fix. It is necessary that the header be (1) same font as body text, (2) aligned at upper right, and follow the format: author/title/page number.

Everything works fine until the page number reaches 100, then the first digit piles up on the / and I can't find a way to move the number over a space.

I hope somebody out there has dealt successfully with this problem and can help me out!:confused:

2. ttmac

ttmac

In word 2000, I created a header using the following fieldcodes: -

{AUTHOR *\ MERGEFORMAT}/{TITLE *\ MERGEFORMAT}/{PAGE *\ MERGEFORMAT}

I then selected the header and formated it using the bodystyle and then right aligned the text. I did not experience the problem you have described.

3. EBSchrader

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I understood it! I have a PC. Is this instruction for Mac? When I create a header, all I do is type it, after selecting the font style and size. What I'm trying to do is insert a SPACE following the final / so that the page number won't pile up on it when the third digit is added.

If your instruction will work on my PC, do I actually type in all those symbols you show? Does it have to be in caps? Do I actually type the words exactly the way you have them? I'm getting the impression that you are creating some sort of template. Is that correct? If so, WHERE do I *create* the header and then *select* and *format* it? (I'm afraid this may be way over my head...):confused:

4. ttmac

ttmac

To insert automated date in the header area of a word document, do the
    following: -

1. Select “Header and Footer” from the “View” menu in Word.

2. “Insert | Field” from the menus and select “Document Automation” & “Author” click OK

3. Insert spaces as required

4. Repeat Insert | Field this time selecting “Document Automation” & “Title” and click OK

5. Insert spaces as required

6. Repeat Insert | Field this time selecting “Numbering” & “Page” and click OK

7. Assuming that you have previously saved your document with Author and Title properties - “File | Properties” - your header should appear “Your name / Title / Page Number”

Alternatively you could

1. Select “Header and Footer” from the “View” menu in Word.

2. Press control and F9 together – this will enter a field codes curly brace “{ }”

3. Type “Author” between the brace pair and press F9.

4. Enter a space followed by / and another space i.e.“ / “

5. Press control and F9 together - this will enter another field codes curly
    brace “{ }”

6. Type “Title” between the brace pair and press F9.

7. Enter a space followed by / and another space i.e. “ / “

8. Press control and F9 together - this will enter another field codes curly
    brace “{ }”

9. Type “Page” between the brace pair and press F9.

Post again if you require further

5. EBSchrader

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I've never had to format a Header before--it was always so simple (I thought). I'll let you know if I can make it work!:)

6. EBSchrader

Thanks, ttmac! I followed your first, simpler instructions and it worked like downtown! I'm a happy camper!:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/91831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice