1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word is very slow

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by holmanjon, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holmanjon

holmanjon Thread Starter

Recently, Word has been very slow to open, and then it takes 15-20 seconds after it opens before I can scroll down in a document. All my other applications are working fine. Any reason why Word in particular would be performing so slowly?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Does this effect all Word Documents or just a particular document(s)?

Also, do you have any macros or add-in associated with the documents in question? Do you have any anti-virus software running with Office Plug-ins?

You can also always search for and delete all occurences of Normal.Dot which is the template file used by Word. Word will create a new one for you after deleting it. Make sure to enable searching within hidden files in your Folder Options in Windows Explorer. Make sure Word is closed when you search for and delete the file.

Rollin

3. holmanjon

holmanjon Thread Starter

It occurs on all Word documents, both ones I have created and ones which are sent to me by others.

I will check NAV for Office Plug-Ins and try the normal.dot trick. Thank you.

4. obvious

obvious

could be hardware.
    what are your specs? can you give us details of the age of the pc as well? or the hard drive may justneed defragging.

5. holmanjon

holmanjon Thread Starter

I don't think it's hardware. Defrag not needed, P4 with 512, less than 2 years old, hard drive less than 25% full, all other programs running fine. May somehow be firewall/antivirus related but I can't determine that.

6. obvious

obvious

like they say, its not the parts themselves, its how they're put together and set up.

and even though its only 25% full, it MAY need a defrag. i had a drive less than 12% full once, still needed a defrag.

does this slow ness happen with all programs or just word? as it could be a bunch of applications running in the background, or some sort of error with some of the word files (or even windows itself!)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice