1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word mail-merge email inserted link problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by slurpee55, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am trying to send multiple emails to different people with slightly different links to a survey page, so I can monitor who takes the survey (e.g. http://forums.techguy.org&c=90001, http://forums.techguy.org&c=90002....)
    I have no trouble setting up Word to do a mail merge using an Excel file as the data source, and in the Excel file the links are all different and they are live.
    However, when an email shows up on my pc, the link is dead - can't click on it to go to the survey, only can cut and paste into the browser, which I don't want to have happen to the client's customers.

(Edit) Note: I installed Microsoft's FixIt
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823301
    and continue to have the problem.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. valis

valis Moderator

if you can't click on the link, it's usually formatted in RTF. Have you verified it's in HTML?

Basic, I know, but sometimes that's all I got. :)

3. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

Annoying. Although it asks what to send it as, and I select HTML, when I look at the message source (in Outlook Express, mind you) I see:
    Content-Type: text/plain.
    But another with the same type has a working (live) link.
    See the attached and see if it makes any sense. :mad:

Attached Files:

4. valis

valis Moderator

have you tried using outlook itself?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

Ah, that is a bit of a snag...all of my office runs on OE, and, while Outlook would probably deal with all of these problems in a flash (and I do have it installed), I don't know the passwords to our mail account, and the person who does is gone for the rest of the month....

6. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

Hmmm, I just opened Outlook, and, even without the proper setup, it has sent out mail today.
    Darned if I know how, but....

7. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

But all the links - whether to my yahoo account or my work account - are dead.
    Time for the weekend.... :(

8. valis

valis Moderator

dunno, boss. I'd say it's definitely something with the RTF though.....

9. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Hi Slurpee,

I find this a frustrating area as well, I generally try to avoid trying to figure it ourt because different emails programs and user settings can affect the behaviour.

My Dad always bugs me about a similar issue with images, for his business he likes to email people images in the body...sometimes they see them sometimes they are blocked and sometimes they have an "x"

generally with Links you add a little note saying to click, or copy/paste to browser ( I've seen this many times).

I found this Link it might have some ideas, but I bet your already did a lot of searching.

You should clarify ( unless I missed it) what you mean by the link is dead....it looks like a hyperlink but no action when you click ( or hover over)...or is it look like Plain text string ( no line or color).

Now this is too obvious and I assume you checked it as Valis has mentioned about the format, but in OE options on the send tab, what is the Mail format...should be HTML.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55 Thread Starter

Yes, supposed to be sending in HTML, but the link arrives as plain text - the URL is listed, but there is no response when you mouse over it or click on it.
    Thanks for the link, Ziggy - I will mess with the suggestions it has on Tuesday.

11. valis

valis Moderator

betcha the recipient is set to rtf........any takers?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice