Word mail merge problem please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hadders

Hi folks

I'm doing a merge.

The address block is fine and I;ve used the <<company>> filed in the body copy of the letter to and that works fine.

I want to use another filed called <<Page>>. When I preview the merge, the <<Page>> field shows 0 rather than the field content which is "lower than page 4".

The data is in Excel.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

IS the field Page in Word actually the same field as in Excel ? Is the Excel field name exactly the same as what you identified. It might be best to put your database(Excel) and Word file with dummy data so we can see what is happening

jimr381

Jim
Change the name of the field in Excel and then re-add it to the body of your Word document. It might be getting confused and not really liking the name page since there is a field code similar to that that puts in the page number of the document you are in.

hadders

Thanks for replying guys.

The Word and Excel files are attached.

I've renamed the problem field to Level but it still doesn't get picked up in the merge.

You will notice that there is another field <<Company>> in the body copy and that works fine.

Thank again guys.

Attachments

hadders, the merge worked perfectly for me . I am using Excel and Word 2007 . The only change I made was to delete the two blank lines in your database - rows 2 and 3 so the data commences on the first line - row2

hadders

Hey Foxydude

That's very strange how it works at your end but not this. :). It still doesn't merge for me but at least I know I've constructed it properly :). I guess we all have "Universal" challenges.

Thanks for your help anyway man.

jimr381

Jim
What exactly is it showing when you try to complete the merge? When you open the file are you then pointing to the data source?

hadders

An update - guys... and thanks for your continued support.

I ran the merge and it entered the desired data if it was a number eg Page 3 ( Page was text in the Word doc and 3 was in the field). If it was text in the Excel cell it returned a "0" (without " ") in the merged doc. So, in Excel it said "after Page 4" but a zero was in the merge.

So progress :)

Tks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online