Word/Mail merge/Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redsoxfan

I'm trying to build a database to use just the labels option of the "mail merge" feature of WORD.
However, in my home edition of XP, I don't have excel. So, to create a database of companies, addresses and towns I was going to use a WORD table to become my database for mail merge to "draw" from.
When I went to create mailing labels from this document (a WORD table) I got an error message that says Microsoft Works does not recognize this database.

Also, I tried to enter each address singly to create a single label, when I went to adjust the column and row it would not let me, hence creating typed text over and over on the same mailing label(?). Help?

Can someone advise me on how to create approx. 300 different mailing labels.

Thank you very much,

Anne Troy

Anne
"Microsoft Works"??

What are you really using? Word or WORKS?

Use the TAB key to get to the next table cell in labels in Word, but not sure how to help if it turns out you're using Works.

Anyway, to answer your last question, let me know exactly what program we're running here and what version. See Help-About...

Anne Troy

Anne
Okay. Check out:

http://www.thewordexpert.com/word.htm#MailMerge

Read up on the data source.

If you've merged any cells in your table, unmerge them.
Make absolutely sure your table has headings in the very first row, and the second row is a *record* (one address or whatever).

If it's not set up that way, it probably won't work.
If you're still having problems and want to email the data file, I'll be glad to check it out.

[email protected]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online