word maxing out cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

valis

I've noticed this in both my work pc and my home pc, but not my laptop. All 3 are running xp (2 pro, work and laptop) and home is xp home. Home is office 2k3, work and laptop are office 2000, and the problem is that ms word, even with only one document that is one page long open, completely maxes out my processor in both task manager and process epxlorer.. If I navigate to another app I have running, the processor speed goes back to normal. Also, this is not a consistent problem. It occurs probably 75% of the time that I use word.

Quirky, at best. Most likely an MS issue. But wondering if anyone else has seen/heard of this. I know I can't be the only one with this issue.

v

Hi valis. I think I've heard this before for Works word processor. I'm inclined to agree with "most likely an MS issue", you might want to check the Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1). One example I found there was "If you hold down the left mouse button for more than a few seconds in Microsoft Word 2000 on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the CPU utilization increases to 100 percent" ; there could be others.

Rgds,
Andy

valis

thanks, been all over ms looking for answers to this....more an annoyance than anything else, but I still can't believe that I am the only person suffering from it....especially since I can replicate the issue on more than one pc.

appreciate the info, tho.

v

valis - have you checked all the things word may be loading upon startup I.E. add-ins if its using anything besides normal.dot as the template? If the cpu use goes down if you remove normal.dot and let it recreate it from scratch.

Word has so many hooks in it to link to other things you can easily get high CPU use but I usually find if you strip out the unneeded links it will settle down.

valis

nope, just had some probs with a custom toolbar two weeks ago and had to delete normal.dot, so unless it got corrupted again in those two weeks (and it may have been opened 4 times in those 2 weeks....holidays and all, not a lot of work), plus remember this is over 2 pc's......

just plain weird.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online