1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word menu bar frozen

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by diddymus, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diddymus

diddymus Thread Starter

When I try to use spell check or format or font - - whatever -- from the menu bar in Word, no drop down menus appear. The menu bar seems to be frozen. The toolbar however still works. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the menu bar to freeze?

2. mrwendal

mrwendal

A couple of things to try.

can you still use spellcheck, for example, by pressing F7?

can you right-click on the toolbar, select customize, and then left click on the menu bar options and then see the options within?

Is your cursor within text when you're trying this?

Has the menu bar ever worked?

Finally, which version of Word are you using?

3. diddymus

diddymus Thread Starter

mrwendel:
    I appreciate your help soooo much!!!

However, I use a Mac, so I can't left and right click. I tried the F7 key, but nothing happens either.

I can't get to the Customize feature either.

The menu bar has always worked up to now.

All the other applications within Microsoft Office are working fine -- Excell is ok.
    I don't know what happened. It seemed as though one day it worked (Word) and then the next day it didn't.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

4. diddymus

diddymus Thread Starter

mrwendell:
    I forgot to tell you that I use Word 2001 for Mac, if that can help...
    Thanks.
    D

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    diddy:

I'm not sure about on a Mac, but I believe you've still got a normal.dot file and corruption of it is the most common problem with Word.

So, with Word closed, find and rename normal.dot to abnormal.dot and restart Word.

Also...did you try Help - Detect and Repair?

6. diddymus

diddymus Thread Starter

Well, I finally got another line of tech. help to solve this problem. I know most people don't use Macs so it is difficult to find help. That being so, let me share with others how this problem was solved.

What happened to me was that the drop down menus in Word 2001 froze. I could type a document, but I could not format, edit, spell check, or even quit the program. Here is what I was told to solve the problem:

1. Close Word
    2. Go into the hard drive and select "Word Settings (9)". (Find this in the Systems Folder/Preferences/Microsoft -- or search through Sherlock.)
    3. Drag "Word Settings (9) to the trash bin.
    4. Open Word --- you're good to go!!!!! That simple.

Hope this helps others.

I appreciate all the inuput from mrwendal and Dreamboat!!!
    This is a great site and I have already recommended it to others. My donation is going out in the mail tomorrow!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice