1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word not opening after PDF save

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Catty47, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Catty47

Catty47 Thread Starter

Hi all

I'm having trouble opening a Word file. The last sequence of events relating to it were when I saved it whilst still open, as a PDF, (for uploading to a website), then tried to save in the .doc or .docx format also.

Now I'm getting error messages - see attached, and although I have tried converting from Word and from 'other', and trying the different unicode suggestions, I am unable to open the document.

I do have the document now as a PDF, but obviously converting back to Word is a royal pain in the neck, and even though I have tried it using the various online resources, it is not keeping all the styles/fonts etc, so I wanted to see if there is any way I can retrieve the document first!

Things to consider: the file is massive - 47MB, which seems strange. It is a newsletter style and does contain lots of images, textboxes, etc, but all images have been processed first so they are only a small number of KB.
    I'm on MacOSX, and the version of Word is Word 2008 ver 12.2.5 (100505)

I hope you can help - sorry if I'm in the wrong place or the answer is already someplace else - I'm new to techguy!

I haven't attached it but let me know if you need me to? Unless 47MB is bigger than England itself?!

Thanks,

Catherine

Attached Files:

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Catherine, welcome to TSG.

A couple of questions. Was the document created in an earlier version of Word? And were you able to successfully save it with the .doc or .docx extensions?

One thing you might try is downloading Open Office (openoffice.org) and trying to open it from there. If it works, you should be able to save them back into Word. Hope that helps.

3. Catty47

Catty47 Thread Starter

No, document created very recently and there have been no changes to my system (as far as I'm aware, although obviously there could have been software updates etc) since then.
    Yes, I was able to save to .doc and .docx, but it's now these documents that won't open.

I just get the strange unicode requests!

I tried OpenOffice, but not working there either...

4. WendyM

Have you tried opening Word first and then opening the file from within Word as opposed to opening the document before Word is open? I'm assuming yes, but I never like to assume. :)

Also, are you still able to open other Word files?

5. Catty47

Catty47 Thread Starter

Yes to both of those...

Do you think it's to do with the size of the document, and if so is there any way to reduce the file size from the 'outside'?!

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you ever save it as a doc or docx BEFORE making this pdf file?
    If yes, are you trying to open the doc (docx) file or the pdf file using Word?

7. Catty47

Catty47 Thread Starter

Yes, saved is as I was going along, so should at the very least have had a fairly recent version, even if I'd managed to close the .doc or .docx version without saving, after saving it as a PDF.
    I am trying to open the file, which has the .docx suffix, and in doing so getting the strange messages.

Do you think I should go through each of the 'convert' options (I'm assuming you've seen the little screenshots of the error messages I attached.) to see if anything works? Including all the odd unicode options?

It's as though Word doesn't recognise that the document is its own kind!

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I would try copy it to a thumbdrive and go to a different machine and see if they can be opened there.

9. WendyM

I agree. And yes, I think the size of the file could have something to do with it. It could mean that the document is corrupted, but my guess is that it's something about the images that's causing the problem. Word doesn't always deal with images the way you'd think and sometimes documents blow up to huge file sizes because of the way it's processing them.

I don't think any of the other "convert" options are going to help you much because even if you could get it to open in something like Excel, as you said all of the formatting would be lost. But it doesn't hurt to try. Hopefully it will open on another machine as Dave suggests and you can resave it from there.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    As for images I always resize them using a resizing program to about 100KB or less and never had issues because of them. I see no need in using any larger, as a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper does NOT need that high of a resolution.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice