1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word not opening my HUGE Report!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CatfishD, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CatfishD

CatfishD Thread Starter

IM GOING TO FREAK OUT!

I have been working on this report for the past week, its due next tuesday, and it has been working with me saving it and everything. Now, the day it is complete and I am ready to open then print it, I get this error:

[​IMG]

I even tried it on my other computer, same error. As you can see it's in WPS format. Any help would be great but I need it by tuesday of next week!!!!!

2. BMoCore

BMoCore

have you tried restarting your computer and then opening up the file? another program could be running it.

it also looks like you are running it from a removable disk of some sort or off a network drive. try copying the file to your desktop and running it from your hard drive.

3. CatfishD

CatfishD Thread Starter

yeah I have, same error :(l

yes, i moved to desktop and i still get this error

4. spearheaded

spearheaded

i'm not an expert and i'm sure you might have tried this, but make a copy of file (just to be safe) take copy and try to open with "Text Document" or you can try to open with differen word processing software. again these are things i would have tried and i'm sure you have done the same. I wish I could help more. I have had this happen to me. (by any chance can you find a backup on your computer of last save. it might not be complete put it wont be gone?

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

Am I missing something? Word files have a "doc" extension. What programme did you create the report with?

6. CatfishD

CatfishD Thread Starter

Word Processor* The Microsoft Word Processor that makes .wps files is what I was using.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

We assume you were using Microsoft Works in that case.

Can you confirm what drive N: (the location on which the corrupt file was stored) is?
    USB drive, network drive, CD-RW or ?...

What is the reported file size of the corrupt file at the moment?

8. CatfishD

CatfishD Thread Starter

I took it from my usb device and put it on my desktop. I had it on my usb stick because i was going to try it on this computer to make sure that it wasn't an error with the other pc i was using. The corrupt file is on my computer's (the one im using right now) desktop now, 752KB.

EDIT: Yes, I was using Microsoft Works.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not sure what the file size limit for Works is, but due to its limited abilities and non-use in the commercial world (its not very compatable with mainstream Office suites) I have never used it (and would not by choice).

While there are options in Word to recover text from corrupted files, I am not aware of any such routine for .wpd files.

Its always a good idea to "save as" periodically to a different file name to provide a backup at the point of rename, but thats of no help at this point.

Your computer should have WordPad installed (its part of Windows), will that open the file?
    Try renaming it to a .txt file (accept the warnings) and open Wordpad, the open the file.

See if any text can be recovered that way?

In future I would suggest using OpenOffice (its free) and it is stable with larger files as well as being quite compatable with Microsoft Office mainstream applications.

I am truly sorry that I have no magic way to extract the data from a corrupt Works file, I am not even sure that it is possible.

10. Rockn

Rockn

wps files are not Word files, they are created in MS Works and not all versions of Word will open them

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Actually I thought I had covered that Rockn?

12. CatfishD

CatfishD Thread Starter

Well, Microsoft won :(

I restarted my whole report and so I say to Microsoft: DONT MAKE ME DO THAT AGAIN

13. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Depending upon what version of Windows you have, you might be able to select a time when the file was working properly and back up to that date. I know that Windows XP has that function. For future reference, Norton GoBack is an excellent little program that comes as part of Norton System Works, and is easy to use in such cases.

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Windows ME and XP have "System Restore" as suggested above, but do not confuse that with the ability to restore documents and data, it only restores Windows System files, nothing that you download or create is restored.

15. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Try opening the file in a text editor like notepad and re saving it as text.

While it is open in notepad, check the first few lines for errors that may stop works opening the file.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice