1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word open file issue

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lazysmurf, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

I have a user with a weird problem. With his MS Word open, he click on file->open->network drive->'word file' after he double click the file, it hangs for good 20 seconds, and then it will open the file. Word will always lag when he tried to open the word file.
    However, if I go into explorer->network drive -> 'word file'. the file will open with no lags at all.
    I tried these methods I found on line.
    http://howtotroubleshoot.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-clean-word.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833041

but the user is still having the lag issue when he uses open file in word. :confused:

any ideas or suggestions?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What Word version and what Windows Version?

3. 1stoptek

1stoptek

If you've already used the Detect and Repair function in Word, then I would uninstall and reinstall Word and see if it works properly. If not, then I would download CCleaner and use the registry fixing function within it and see if that cures your problem.

4. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

Window XP and MS Word 2003. I will try CCleaner to see if it helps.

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Is he trying to open a Word 2007 file format?

6. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

nope, its just a user opening a file using 'open folder' in his word document. When he navigate to network share (U: drive) and open the document in it, it lags. but it doesnt lag when he open the word document using folder explorer, it will open instantly.

7. 1stoptek

1stoptek

Have you updated Microsoft Office with Microsoft Updates instead of Windows Updates? Maybe its a bug. It would be helpful to some here if you let us know which version of Windows he's using and which version of Microsoft Office he's using like Kiwiguy was asking for in the above post.

8. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

i posted on top already, but here it is again, Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003 sp2

9. 1stoptek

1stoptek

Sorry about that, I must be blind today.
    Just so we know what's been done so far, have you uninstalled and reinstalled Office yet, have you ran the CCleaner registry fix option, and Office has been updated?

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

I suspect Word has trouble with the network, per your posting of that MS link.
    Have you tried starting the file directly using the command line, something like
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe" U:\file name.doc ?
    And if you have, does that lag?

11. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

i did ran the word in safe mode using "winword.exe /a" but the problem still occur. if the problem was caused by network, shouldn't the user have the same problem when he try to open the file using explorer on his computer?

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

ah, the joys of networking...I have had problems where the server was "happier" with some programs than with others. But I can't really claim to understand - another of my many weaknesses.
    I hope someone can help you...it just seems odd. I would guess that, if you copy the document over to your user's PC it will open normally.

13. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the normal.dot residing on the network drive? If so try moving it over to the local drive and repoint to it and see if has issues? If you do not know how to reassociate the normal.dot elsewhere to go to "Tools">>"Templates and Add-ins" and you should see an option at the top for the normal.dot.

14. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Does the program exhibit the same behavior if you log into Windows using a different user profile?

Regards,
    Rollin

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice