1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word opens to the same saved file

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by R.Fritz, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

Have a XP PRo PC that is running Office 97 which is connected to a Win 2000 server where all our files are stored. When the user of this PC opens Word it comes up with a file she created a couple weeks ago. We can close that file & then be able to create a document. Can anyone tell me why the it is opening with a file open all the time? I assume there is some setting but don't know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    R.Fritz

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

SOunds like it is trying to recover the document. Have you tried saving it vs. closing?

3. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

I thought we had done that but not sure so I will try that. Thanks, will let you know if that is the problem!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

More likely the document was accidentally saved to the "normal.dot" template.

Find and delete or rename all copies of "normal.dot".

Its a hidden/system file, so make sure you have the settings correct for viewing them.

The file will exist. Do not have Word open when deleting or renaming it. Deleting or renaming it just means a new clean one will be created next time Word runs, with default formatting set.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Good point Kiwi!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice