1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Page Numbering HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MaryKay, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryKay

MaryKay Thread Starter

I have a document with several sections. The first 2 pages are not numbered. The TOC is numbered Page i, Page ii, Page iii, etc. Then in the next section I would like Page 1 of (number of pages remaining in document. So the whole document is 80 pages, but I want the footer to include Page 1 of 77. On other thing to note is that I have "Even/Odd" footers, too.

I have tried the formula with the Cntr F9, but that gives me a syntax error.

Here is the formula that I have tried.

{={NUMPAGES}-6}

I have also tried to just use QuickParts SectionPages, but that only adds up the pages in a section. I want all the sections to add up with the exception of the first 2.

Can you help?

MK

2. Pedro15

Pedro15

If you want to do it manually.
    View/Header and Footer and select where you want numbers to appear.

From the drop down box change "Insert auto Text" to "Page x of Y"

This is what I do in 2003.

Pedro

3. tetd

tetd

Sorry to hijack your thread MaryKay, but I am also struggling with page numbering.

i would like my word document to have the page number something like

-, i,ii,iii...x., 1,2,3...100,101,130,160.

The first page (title page) would have no number and so the Roman numerals would start for the 2nd page.

If i was to do it by manually typing in the footer, how do I set the word document so that each footer (not header) is separate?

4. MaryKay

MaryKay Thread Starter

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the reply, but that does not work because Word calulates the page numbers in total and not from the page that is actually page 6 in the document. My first 6 pages are numbered differently and the first page does not have a number. So I want to start Page 1 of (remaining pages) on the actual page 6 of the document. I've tried the formula ={NUMPAGES}-6 and = # - 6 using the Control F9 feature, but I always get a Syntax error.

Looks like Tetd is also having the same issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
    MaryKay

5. tetd

tetd

I have got a little further, I am using Word 2010. Which allows me to put in section breaks between the different sections and then start the new section at a number and format of my chasing.

This has allowed me to have I, II,III...XII, then 1-130, then 131, then 161, then 191. So that is all sorted.

Just a few little problems to iron out then that should be it.

6. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi MaryKay, welcome to TSG.

Your formula looks correct, so my best guess is that you're typing in at least one set of the brackets into the field code, which won't work. If you haven't already, try typing in this order:

Ctrl+F9
    =
    Ctrl+F9
    NUMPAGES
    use your arrow key to get outside of the NUMPAGES closing bracket

Alt+F9 to toggle away from the field codes. It should look the same as what you've been typing, but hopefully works now. Any luck?

7. MaryKay

MaryKay Thread Starter

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

8. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

No problem, glad it worked. (y) You can mark this thread as solved using the button at the top of the thread.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice