1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word perfect 9

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bichon, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bichon

Bichon Thread Starter

I stored files one 3 1/2 floppy with Word Perfect 5.1 now I want to access them with Word Perfect 9...Is it possible?

2. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

Bichon: Wow - 5.1. I had to search some old diskettes for my WordPerfect 5.1 files and did find them (files were from 1992). Although I don't have WordPerfect 9.0 I do still have WordPerfect 6.1 on my computer and it opened up the 5.1 file with no trouble. The WordPerfect 9 should still probably open it. Have you simply tried it or are you asking the question because you're interested in buying and loading version 9.0?

3. Bichon

Bichon Thread Starter

I have tried...I just get a message cannot read file

4. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

5. Bichon

Bichon Thread Starter

THANKS BUNCHES...
    I have tried the first option to no avail there are no comment codes that I can see?...but the 5.1 is on a different computer...Have the second option downloaded but haven't time right now to try...will let you know.
    ps,,I am very old and kinda slow and do appreciate your help very much

6. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe

In wp8,

To see a list of supported file formats,

1 Click File Save As.
    2 Click the File type drop-down list, and scroll through the listed file types.

Should be same or simliar in WP 9.

In WP 8, it supports as far back as 4.2. I would be surprised if 9 doesn't support 5.1 as it is still quite common.

Try the files on a WP8 version if all else fails, save as WP 8 which certainly would be compatible. But you have to find a WP 8. If necessary you, could mail/ICQ file(s) to me for conversion. Please advise if interested.

7. Bichon

Bichon Thread Starter

Well I done It....not sure exactly which "thing" helped but do thank all who replied.
    ITried the download of the conversion, etc...didn't work, tried the file extension...didn't work as illustrated...but gave me an idea.
    Re-installed WP8...didn't work...
    re-installed WP9????
    Some files I had to resave on 5.1 with ext. wpd
    some files i had to open as read only..resave under different name
    Some files I had to re-copy onto a different HD disk
    So am not sure what exactly was the cause or the cure...but all your suggestions helped..
    I have my "stuff"
    :)
    As I said I'm old, slow but determined....This Computer will not Win
    THANKS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice