Word Problem - Restarting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

per42c42

I have been having a issue for one of my users who finds his MS Word is restarting everytime he opens it. It does not matter if he opens the application itself or try's to open a word doc by double clicking on it.

Any idea's ?

There are no error messages popping up but it does seem to take a while before it try's to open word back up. There is a tick in a box which you can remove to stop it from trying to recover and open word again.

It is a XP machine and the office version is 2002.

Cheers in advance for any feedback.

You can try searching your computer for the file Normal.dot which is the template that Word uses for all documents. It not uncommon for this file to become corrupted and cause problems. After finding this file in your computer, delete it or rename it to something else like Normal.Old and then retry opening word. Word should automatically recreate the Normal.dot template for you.

NOTE: Normal.dot may be hidden so you may have to go into your Window Explorer options and change them to show hidden files and folders before doing your search. You may also find multiple instances of the file so make sure to delete or rename all of them.

If you want to read more about Normal.dot check out Dreamboat's groovy site here
http://www.officearticles.com/word/...rosoft_word.htm

Additional Word Troubleshooting Steps also found here
http://www.officearticles.com/word/...rosoft_word.htm

Rollin

per42c42

Hi ya

Thanks for that, I did look for the normal.dot file but could not find it on the machine anywhere, which did not make sense to me.

Any idea why I would not be able to locate it ?

Did you take note of Rollin's comments about showing hidden files?

If normal.dot isn't on the computer then Word should recreate it. The fact that it's not doing so suggests it's time to try the 'detect and repair' option in Word.

To enable searching for hidden files, right click your START button and choose explore to bring up the Windows Explorer. Once the Explorer Windows opens click TOOLS --> FOLDER OPTIONS --> VIEW and look for the option labeled "Show Hidden Files and Folders."

Rollin

per42c42

I tried this one as well but still cant find it. Also the detect and repair feature is not doing anything, just gives progress bar and does not move on.

I have tried repair, modify, uninstall and re-install all of which have failed.

I tried orktools but that did not get rid of it either.

Bit lost on what else to try

Anne Troy

Anne
>>Restarting every time he opens it...

What does this mean? Does this mean it sits there in a never-ending cycle restarting?
Or after he works in it for a moment or two, it restarts?

If you can keep Word open, immediately try to find the Normal.dot location by going to Tools-->Options-->File locations, user templates. Look there for normal.dot. It *could* be on a server instead of on the hard drive, and now we all know why this is never a good idea. :)

per42c42

Well we do complete installs of office onto the hdd but even after I check to make sure the files are not hidden I still cant find the normal.dot

I will try copying a fresh normal.dat into the directory and see what happens.

To clarify what is happening: When you open word either by the shortcut to winword or doubleclicking on any word doc it opens the application then states it is going to try and recover the document. After that it does go into an never ending cycle unless you take a tick from a box asking not to restart word.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online