1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word saving and printing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ciobair, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

A friend has an intriguing problem, running Word9 on XP Home.
    If you start with a blank page, type some text and print it, all is well.
    If you then save it and re-open the file it has about 30 additional lines of text at the bottom, giving what looks a bit like the file location, author etc data which can be selected to be printed with the document. None of these is selected. Where is this coming from?
    If these extra lines are deleted, the file prints correctly.
    I will be most interested to know the answer.
    Ciobair

2. melonhead

melonhead

Sounds like your friend may have inadvertently inserted a field code and now it is part of the normal.dot document. What I would do would be Close Word, then go to start - search - and then type in normal.dot. Right click on normal.dot and rename normal.dot to something else such as normalold.dot. Word will recreate the original normal.dot when you open it. Hope this works.

3. melonhead

melonhead

Oops - I should have said search for normal.dot. When it finds it, highlight then rename. (Wanted to be clearer.)

4. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

Many thanks. I have done as you suggested and the problem is completely resolved - even for previously created files.
    I am intrigued by the potential for this feature when you do actually want it!
    Regards,
    Ciobair :)

5. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

I meant to say, I actually deleted Normal.dot but I am sure that the effect would be the same.
    Ciobair

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice