1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jhieb, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhieb

jhieb Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Persario I purchased Aug 3, 2004. Their Tech Support has instructed me to run recover 3 times so far and I am refusing the forth. Op Sys is XP Home. Word is ver 2000. It worked fine for the first month. For the last week, I open Word 2000 and within a minute it throws the send error message box and terminates. I have set the compatability tab to Win 98 with no change. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Can you be more specific on the error message.

4. jhieb

jhieb Thread Starter

Followed troubleshooting through PC cleanup and all the way to uninstall and reinstall Word. I also deleted all unnecessary Microsoft Applications, Office 2003, Works, Two flavors of money and efax. When I launch Word I get the first white screen, the cursor blinks 4 times and I get a dialog box saying Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem & needs to close. It is still happening after doing all of the above. Any advice or encouragement short of dropping the PC onto concrete from the second story would be appreciated.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    "deleted"
    Where?
    In the registry?

No concrete yet.

6. jhieb

jhieb Thread Starter

I tend to mix match terms. I removed the programs from the control panel. And yet and still and alas Word does not work! Any ideas would be great.

Jerry

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No. REMOVE IT FROM THE REGISTRY AS STATED IN STEP 5...

8. jhieb

jhieb Thread Starter

Dreamboat, I printed out your troubleshooting. Removed Word from control panel, renamed office in registry, deleted the files and subs listed in eraser 2000. Reinstalled word and it immediately crashes. I am about to change my handle to "Totally Confused". Any help would be appreciated. :mad:

9. Lightning

Lightning Guest

So you've returned your computer back to original factory settings with all the original software and none of your data three times, and you still get these errors? There's either a hardware problem or the restore disks are bad.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice