1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Tables

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by WarC, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarC

WarC Thread Starter

I'm working on an inventory label project for one of my employer's child companies. It needs to be accessible to anyone who wants to create a label, so I made a large table fit to the label's specifications. This way users could tab through the fields and add, say, a stock number without messing up the formatting. (This was actually suggested by a user on this board...It was really working for awhile!)

Things were going pretty well, but now all of a sudden any change I make to the table makes the fields at the bottom all mysteriously shift to the left...and when I try to correct it, it just shrinks left again. The more I try to fix it, or add cells, the worse and worse the cells get, eventually eating up the entire bottom two labels and then working its way up. It's an odd phenomenon.

I've had trouble with this since the beginning...every change I made to a cell, or adding a cell or moving the line of one of my cells would move the entire table to the left just a tad...So every few clicks I would have to drag the entire table back into position.

I've tried EVERYTHING. I'm fairly convinced it has something to do with a quirk in the number crunching behind the scenes. Thanks, Microsoft. I've been working on this project for two weeks, and no one can understand why I can't make some labels that people can add stuff too.

If Microsoft made planes, the more people that got on the plane the more fuel would empty mysteriously. Try to add more fuel, and the left wing would shrink.

Microsoft Word is physical insanity. This makes me want to try a MAC!

I'm pretty sure this can't be helped. I'm positively sure I'm going to get chewed out because Microsoft can't program their office products correctly. But, I have to hold onto some kind of hope, so does anyone know what might help? Perhaps theres a mysterious registry edit I can do that will stop making Office try to "fix" itself all the time. All I want is for the cells I have to STOP MOVING. I wish there was a "Keep These Cells' Friggin' Borders Frozen" button somewhere.

Of course, I'm a logical thinking person trying to do my job, so that'll never happen. Microsoft doesn't cater to the logical, working people. Well...They do as long as you fill their purse.

They spend millions on research into Sci-Fi things like Teleportation, but they can't make an already overpriced office suite work. This is what I paid $3,203.99 for? A week of frustration and an angry boss?

OK, that was my half-question half-vent post.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    WarC:

You said:
    >>This makes me want to try a MAC!

And then you said:
    >>I'm a logical thinking person...

And then I said:
    >>Yeah. Right!

LOL!!

Suspicions and comments (assuming Word 2000):

--Click in table, Table-Properties and make sure the darn thing is set NOT to wrap text.

--Click in table, Table-Properties and make sure it's set to width 100% (type 100 in the width and it auto-changes to Percent. Do this ONLY if your labels took up the whole page)

--What is the style being used or auto-applied to your text? Hit Format-Style, choose the Style, and modify it. Make sure "automatically update" is NOT checked.

--Email it to me if you still have probs: [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice