1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Template

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Fiddlercrab1, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fiddlercrab1

Fiddlercrab1 Thread Starter

Hello.

I have created a word template which I have saved into a directory on a shared drive (not the template directory on my c drive that it defaults to).

When I open the document and enter data into it and then try to save it as a word document (and not a template), the option to change the document type is greyed out (so I can only save it as a template).

Is there any way of saving the template as a word document??

Many thanks

David

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi Fiddlercrab1,

You should be creating a new document based on your template, not opening the template itself.

File / New then select from your template directories.

I'm sure this has varied across versions of WORD but on my WORD 2000 in Tools / Options / File Locations you can specify your folders for User Templates, and Workgroup Templates.
    You could use the latter to point to your shared drive.

hth
    Hew

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

An MS Office tip, when creating or saving your own Word templates, and you use the SaveAs selection to save it as a Word template, the extension will be .dot and will default to save in YOUR own "Templates" folder.

The tip is create a new folder at that "Templates" location. For example let's pretend you call the folder "XYZ". When you do that, and then later your use the File New command, or the New Office Document selection (in your Start>All Programs selection) you will see the usual tabs like: "General" "Publications" "Reports" etc, AND you will see your so-named "XYZ" tab, where your saved templates are stored.

(Interestingly, if you create the "XYZ" folder in that same "your Templates" location, and don't have any files or templates in there, the "XYZ" tab will not appear on the New Office Document window. In other words, the folder does not appear until there is something inside.)

4. Fiddlercrab1

Hello.

Thank you again for a great response - this has solved my problem perfectly.

Many thanks

David

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    David: another piece of information for you.

I often don't save my templates in my Templates folder. But doing this can cause problems for OTHER users who File-->Open (instead of File-->New) on a template.

The double-click action on a DOT file is "new" by default (on a DOC it's "open" by default). If you are double-clicking a DOT file and it opens instead of giving you a "Document1" type file, then there is something wrong with your file associations, and this ought to be fixed. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

6. Fiddlercrab1

Hi.

How do I find out what is wrong with my file asociations and how do I fix it??

Thanks

David

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you double-click a DOT does it OPEN the file? (I am not talking about the File-->Open dialog).

If YES, fix it like this:

Double-click My Computer.
    Tools-->Folder options.
    File types tab.
    Scroll down to DOT.
    Choose Advanced button.
    Make sure NEW is bold, not OPEN. If it's not NEW, click on NEW and hit Set Default.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    By the way, to see the default double-click action, you can just right-click a file. The first item in the list is the default double-click. To open (edit) a template (instead of default double-click), right-click and choose Open.

9. Fiddlercrab1

Brilliant...

very helpful!

Thanks again

David

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/409475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice